A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

Quote from: FierceKitty on 14 September 2019, 02:22:51 AM
I call on everyone in this forum to get some Aztecs. Why should I be the only one to be repeatedly humiliated by massacred Mexicans?

(Actually, I'm thinking that a special rule allowing Cuachiquicqueh to improvise cover for an ambush in what looks like good going might be a bit of an equaliser.)

Mine are en route to me now  :D :D :D

I've been (somewhat prematurely) thinking about rule sets and how to tweak them for the period. The ability to have improvised ambushes and false withdrawal traps would add a nice bit of variety to the otherwise very linear tactics. I'm thinking some sort of way to indicate where the elites are hidden (map in an envelope maybe) then a dice roll to determine if they execute a successful ambush or fall over their own feet and get severely disrupted.

FierceKitty

I've written into my pike and shot rules that the elite veterans may be assigned this task, with secretly recorded details of left or right side of the field, but the figures are to be deployed normally as dummies. When the enemy approaches the halfway line, the unit is deployed, with a chance that the enemy are disordered. This includes the assumption that they moved stealthily into position in the path of the most likely victims (who looked as if they'd be advancing).

Not tested yet; we've been too busy with the Silesian wars the last few battles. But it could be pretty dangerous, without being too decisive. The Mexicans will be risking their best troops, and could get them chewed up before the rest of the army closes. If they take out the cavalry and musketeers, on the other hand....
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Primed some command figures and cavalry for my 18thC force. Also made some bases for fields for my games.

Steve J

Two units of AWI infantry finished tonight, which is a record for me! Focussing on painting the unit, rather than the figure and remembering they wll be seen at arms length etc. Also basecoated some terrain ready for drybrushing tomorrow.

paulr

Sounds a very productive evening, I look forward to seeing the results :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

A unit of cavalry finished this evening. With luck some artillery and a command base tomoroow, ready for a game in the evening.

Big Insect

Quote from: mmcv on 15 September 2019, 12:29:07 PM
Mine are en route to me now  :D :D :D

I've been (somewhat prematurely) thinking about rule sets and how to tweak them for the period. The ability to have improvised ambushes and false withdrawal traps would add a nice bit of variety to the otherwise very linear tactics. I'm thinking some sort of way to indicate where the elites are hidden (map in an envelope maybe) then a dice roll to determine if they execute a successful ambush or fall over their own feet and get severely disrupted.

The Ambush rules in BKC/CWC/FWC work very well - as they restrict the numbers of troops involved so as not to allow the ambushing player an overwhelming advantage.
You are also restricted in the number of ambushes a specific army can have, and you pay for them as an army asset. It allows armies like WW2 Finns or Yugoslavian guerrilla armies, or modern Special Forces, to catch their enemies unawares. I think it would work well for your Aztecs.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

I've seen plenty of ambushes - some led by myself - get into trouble through a promissing but unsupported attack.

FierceKitty

Meanwhile, does anyone here have any experience of using Vikings in battles? I'm not talking about little raids and figures glued to pennies here.

mmcv

Quote from: Big Insect on 18 September 2019, 06:42:26 AM
The Ambush rules in BKC/CWC/FWC work very well - as they restrict the numbers of troops involved so as not to allow the ambushing player an overwhelming advantage.
You are also restricted in the number of ambushes a specific army can have, and you pay for them as an army asset. It allows armies like WW2 Finns or Yugoslavian guerrilla armies, or modern Special Forces, to catch their enemies unawares. I think it would work well for your Aztecs.

I actually just received my copy of BKCIV this week and have been flicking through it. Will have to proper read into the ambush section and see how it might adapt to the various ancient rulesets I could use. Big order of models has arrived too so the sorting begins!

Big Insect

Wonderful news mmcv

Personally I think that the 'Commander' rules principles are very capable of being adapted to Ancient or Medieval or Fantasy warfare.

Shooting is very much the Emperor of the battlefield ... but it's easy enough to adjust the factors and ranges.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

Quote from: FierceKitty on 18 September 2019, 06:46:43 AM
Meanwhile, does anyone here have any experience of using Vikings in battles? I'm not talking about little raids and figures glued to pennies here.

Hmmmm?

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Due to an interesting work situation (despite not wanting to teach full time, I'm covering someone who has been stricken with cancer on the first day of the year. I was called in last Thursday, second week of term, and had to hit the ground running for the next six months getting his class back on track), so painting has been somewhat halted this last week.
Now I've got my head above water with planning and resources, I should get the production line back in business.
ECW riders base coated and inked, phew.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Best of luck, Will......and also to the teacher you're covering for.

That's a real downer. :(

Someone you know ?.....Old ? Young ?

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Middle, don't know, but big shoes to fill.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner