A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

Small reinforcements for the War of Northern Aggression. I had to have Texas lancers and some Yankee Zouaves, and a it of nominal heavy artillery. When that's done, a few new ancient armies (Arabs, Minoans, Thracians), and then the Mexicans should be ready.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Highlights done, flesh base coat done and flesh wash applied.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Scratch built two barricades yesterday, which was nice. No energy at present for painting :(.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The Sassanid foot skirmishers are nearly done, just the shield patterns and sorting out stages to do.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sassanids shields done, and mistakes sorted.
120 Sea People's and 42 Mongol foot archers base coated and inked.
Not sure I'll get them all done by Thursday, but I'll try!

Anyone need an army painting- can't believe the cost of passport renewal these days!

Steve J

I finally finished my British Inter-War tanks last night after a bit of painting mojo returned :).

Steve J

Basecoat of Middlestone applied to some PzIVs, Stug and Tiger I tonight.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

120 odd sea people's figures nearly done, plus 40 odd mongol archers, plus 6 huts base coated and inked

FierceKitty

Bronze age Crete is looming. Do people think hide shields should be distinctive to each regiment (as Zulu ones are)? And chariots; should they have regimental colours? Minos seems to have gone in for efficient bureaucracy, so there is an argument for uniformity.

paulr

Quote from: Steve J on 05 February 2018, 08:14:57 AM
I finally finished my British Inter-War tanks last night after a bit of painting mojo returned :).
Quote from: Steve J on 05 February 2018, 09:52:57 PM
Basecoat of Middlestone applied to some PzIVs, Stug and Tiger I tonight.

I suspect those British Inter-War tanks are feeling a little inadequate  :-SS
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 February 2018, 01:27:26 AM
Bronze age Crete is looming. Do people think hide shields should be distinctive to each regiment (as Zulu ones are)? And chariots; should they have regimental colours? Minos seems to have gone in for efficient bureaucracy, so there is an argument for uniformity.

I'm my opinion no and no, but then I'm usually wrong!

Steve J

QuoteI suspect those British Inter-War tanks are feeling a little inadequate

Hmmm, that's putting it mildly ;) :D

fsn

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 February 2018, 01:27:26 AM

Well the minoan bull leapers seem to be jumping over a tan coloured bull, so I'd go for everyone having a tan shield ... but that's just me. I understand the Minoans to be a pretty centralised society, so the shield may have been issued from a central store.

Weren't the Myrmidons of the Iliad described as "black", which suggests to me that some sort of band heraldry (gang colours) were used. Black shields?

I realise this is of no help whatsoever, and ultimately it would depend upon if you like painting irregulars - which I defintely don't.

Though piebald shields are very striking. 

So that's sorted then.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I can do Achilles' lot with black shields.

Ithoriel

Illustrations, like this one from Akrotiri showing Minoan troops, don't seem to show unit shield designs.

That said, we are looking at a handful of images, with a fair bit of reconstruction, with no idea of who/ what exactly we are looking at and with no real idea of the artistic conventions of the era so I'd say go with whatever seems best to you because it's unlikely that we will recover enough information to prove you wrong!

Although "Troy" owed more to Lord of the Rings than to Homer I did like the black armoured Myrmidons!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data