A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace of Spades

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

There are some S, some F and a few W
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Lots undercoated, six galleys built and based with milliputt waves, but due to cheap superglue, sails not afixed, (45 setting time, yeah right) will buy posh superglue tomorrow.
Also milliputt sculpted scrim camo nets in the Scorpion tanks.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ace of Spades

Quote from: mad lemmey on 10 October 2017, 02:57:18 PM
There are some S, some F and a few W
Come to think of it I know of a Valentine and a Mathilda but that's about it... Is the 'C' reserved for MBT's maybe?

Cheers,
Rob

Duke Speedy of Leighton

The issue with British tanks is preWW2 the tanks were divided into infantry support tanks and cavalry tanks that were designed to be free roaming.
Ignoring US supplied Tanks that British wags gave names (Stuart, Grant, Lee, Sherman etc) which the Americans then adopted themselves.

'C' was reserved for cruiser tanks (Cromwell, Crusader, Challenger (Cromwell with stupidly big turret), it was then adapted as the 'M' series of Infantry Tanks were phased out, then heavier tanks picked up C names (Churchill, Centurion) and the name stuck for MBTs post war (note the recycled Challenger name, not many positive C names.... coward, craven, crow.

Ace of Spades

Never gave it much thought but it sounds logical I guess; a bit like the Destroyer classes in the Navy then.
Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Rob

toxicpixie

Very little about British tank design is at all logical until post-war ;)

Reading Keegan's "Tank Men" atm, and some of the quotes from the British design teams are eye opening. I knew our design process was bad, but... Massive panic at "boss level" but no one actually communicates it down. To the totally separate teams who are developing different bits of the tank in isolation. Oh, so the gun was supposed to fit the turret? Well no one told us that! And under outside constraints like railway tunnel sizes etc.  And no guidance from the chaps using the damn machines, except very occasionally when one might be flown in, take one look at the mess, laugh-cry in desperation, throw everything out and leave. Direction from above was vague, contradictory and never very urgent, and it's a wonder we ever built any tanks at all tbh.

Still, that's all sorted out by the end of the Cromwell program, and a couple of years to tune it rendered the Churchill a superb machine, and the Comet followed by the Tank That Excites The FSN were probably the best tanks of the war and into the post war period (until the T-54/55 at any rate). Think the experience scarred the Army so badly they got it right post war (barring buying Iranian tanks to replace Chieftain :D).
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Did they buy them, or were they landed on them? ;)

toxicpixie

To be fair it wasn't the Army's decision, I guess :D

They seemed adamant they wanted the Abrams (with a proper gun), and simply had to have a new tank. So they got one, and all the ROF chaps kept their jobs, hurrah!

And they did do well in actual combat, and a seventeen year in service time isn't bad, even if it's half Chieftains and a third of Centurion's...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sails added to galleys after I shelled out on some gel superglue!

Steve J

Fallschirmjager LG 40s based, ditto a Flak 88. Just need to decide which crew to add to the 88, so need to rummage around in my figures box to get the look I want.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Horses base coated for the next part of a commission. My infantry, APCs, Light Tanks and Heavy tanks base coated and inked.

FierceKitty

Kentucky cavalry done; Illinois started. The fact that by the later 19th century you often have to do dismounted versions too does delay things a bit. :(
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

3 Pendraken Scorpions, 7Timecast BMP-1s, and two Timecast Chieftain finished tonight. 9 Soviet infantry stands part done, Samurai camp undercoated, Samurai Tipo also undercoated.

Techno

I'm rejigging all of the 'dollies' at the mo', so that Leon can get the whole lot on a single mould.

Done a handful of extra poses, which I hadn't done before. (Though I've converted dollies in the past to make up those poses....But that's a bit of a waste of time.)

Also changed (am changing) the running pose, so it hopefully looks a little more realistic.

If there are any poses that you think are sorely missed....Pop your ideas down.

(I can't go TOO mad though !) ;)

Cheers - Phil