A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace of Spades

Good all-round vision though! hard to surprise these fellows...
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

96 Marlburian Infantry started for an August member of this forum, which I'm sure will be much to his and my relief. Base coats and inks done.

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Highlights on jackets and trousers done last night. Facings and sashes sorted too
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Base colours applied to 1/144th Typhoon (old Revell kit IIRC). Not sure whether to add D-Day stripes to the wings or not, mainly due to the effort involved. However, it does make the plane 'jump' when on the table.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Sorry, but no option, all Tiffes carried the stripes, seems they were supposed to resemble FW-190s. Don't see it myself though.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

At 400mph and in whirling 3d  fighting with rapidly changing ranges, every plane looks just like another :D

What's the stats for the NWE theatre? Was something ludicrous like 60-40 in favour of getting knocked out by your own side, either your own AA or other pilots! Might have been about 50/50, but yeah.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Steve J

Come mid-late '44 onwards, it appears that the invasion strips were restricted to the underside of the plane. Presumably due to the absence of the Luftwaffe, it was AA fire that they had to worry about.

toxicpixie

Given the amount of "whoops" moments from Allied pilots versus Allied ground troops, I'm not surprised! Everybody shoot at everything, you're bound to hit the one eventually...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Ace of Spades

Quote from: toxicpixie on 05 October 2017, 09:07:39 AM
At 400mph and in whirling 3d  fighting with rapidly changing ranges, every plane looks just like another :D

What's the stats for the NWE theatre? Was something ludicrous like 60-40 in favour of getting knocked out by your own side, either your own AA or other pilots! Might have been about 50/50, but yeah.
I believe these are more or less the stats for German planes; during 'Operation Bodenplatte' on 1st January 1945 when the Luftwaffe gathered all it could muster to attack allied airfields in the West they lost close to 250 airplanes in just one day... roughly 20% of the losses were attributed to allied planes; 40% to allied AA fire and the other 40% to german AA fire (I could look up the exact numbers if anyone wants them). The problem was that the operation was so secret they hadn't informed the FlaK commanders and they in turn were not used to seeing German airplanes anymore so that they shot on everything that flew in their airspace... Losses in % to allied aircraft by friendly groundfire will have been remarkably lower although they certainly did occur in the heat of battle. I can also imagine gunners on bombers doing considerable collateral damage when trying to track German aircraft with their .50 cal.s...

Cheers,
Rob

toxicpixie

I think it was the American tactical airforce in Normandy I'm thinking of (although it might have included the heavies when used in theatre as opposed to strategically); I was mildly astonished -  the chances of harm from your own side somewhat outstripped that from the enemy (all sources included, ground fire and air fire). Losses to friendly AA over the Commonwealth sectors were slightly better - attributed to better AA control and being less jumpy, as they hadn't been plastered quite so effectively by their own air :D

I can't find the bloody article now, but losses by aircraft for the Allies in the ETO worked out slightly more likely to get knocked out by your own side. I don't recall they were as bad as 60/40, as with that German operation to be fair, it was only a shade more likely. And it did include training and accidents, which were horrifically high.

It's almost certainly from the US Strategic Bombing Survey, which despite the title covers just about everything on NWE.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

I did have a quick flick through a couple of pages referencing that but didn't catch anything more than the vague allusions to how dangerous your own side was as opposed to the actual breakdown showing it :D

Think you're right though Ian, that sounds like where I'd seen the data from...

Ace of Spades

On accidents; we had a temporary airfield (B.89) in my hometown, operational from early February 1945 to late March with two Wings stationed there; in that short 1,5 month period at least 6  planes crashed, resulting in several casualties, on landing or take off. On the day the one Wing departed for new field closer to the front three more accidents occured wrecking both planes and men... Losses due to combat during the period amounted to many more.

Cheers,
Rob

Steve J

Typhoon finished tonight and decals applied. I decided against the D-Day markings purely due to limited painting time at present, but might do this on another model... :-

Applying the decals took me back over 40 years to when I made models as a kid. The whole experience is easier these days due to better quality decals, but still it was great fun applying them. I'd forgotten how these really finish off a plane, which without them looks rather drab to be honest.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Last two nights
Assembled 54 cavalry and 12 infantry for that ongoing 15mm Renaissance commission, built a platoon of timecast soviet infantry, 7bmp-1ps, 3 scorpion tanks and 2 BIG BRITISH tanks!

They begin with C, made by timecast, are beautiful, amazingly detailed and FSN doesn't collect them,