A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

47 principes and a general finished tonight, just need varnish and basing now. Not bad seeing as I only started them yesterday! :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Quote from: mad lemmey on 23 December 2016, 11:20:14 PM
47 principes and a general finished tonight, just need varnish and basing now. Not bad seeing as I only started them yesterday! :D

Well done :)

But didn't you have 80 to do :-\
Quote from: mad lemmey on 22 December 2016, 01:14:51 PM
40 principes reassembled (didn't like how I had them first time) and the base coated and inked.
40 more assembled, ready for undercoating.
Not bad morning really!
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

To my delight.......

I stopped work on Friday afternoon, without properly finishing off the puttying on a 30mm model....(I reached the stage where.....B*gger it !, I'm stopping for the weekend, and it's Christmas on Sunday)
So a tip I've mentioned before.....I put the model in a plastic box, and the box in the chest freezer, outside, in the barn.
Took the model back inside this morning, and the 'wet' putty is still 'workable'.

Never left a model in the freezer for that amount of time before......I usually only 'risk' 12-24 hours....So I now know that in 'an emergency' I can leave it for over 48 hours !

Huzzah !

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Four bases of Hastatii assembled, four bases of principes sanded and pva'd.

d_Guy

Quote from: fsn on 25 November 2016, 05:05:45 PM
You know, this thread isn't as good as the old one.  :(

I miss the old one.

What do you miss specifically? Prehapes is can be remedied?
I've got some scaffolding and paint I've been hoarding.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Steve J

No painting as such, but managed to get off my butt and sort out some stuff for my Imagi-Nations project. I had aimed to get both forces painted by New Years Eve, but a succession of colds and the holiday period blew that plan out of the water.

Steve J

Based up some additional units for one of my Imagi-Nations forces this evening.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Bases flocked and prettyfied on those next five Roman stands, photos tomorrow. plus five stands of Epic tactical marines painted and sand/pva on bases, small chance I might get those done before midnight tomorrow to finish the year off nicely.

Steve J

Rebased some cavalry onto larger bases and added some additional infantry units to one of the 'Forces'. Still not sure what to do with the soldiers in the Carthaginian elephant as they are noticeably smaller than the Late Romans that I'm using them with :(

Steve J

After some thought I decided to use the elphants as they stand and count them as 'mercenaries/experts' hired in. Just a base of heavy cavalry to do and then I think that's one force completed.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Twenty five epic tactical marines based today, just waiting for the pva to dry before applying tufts and photographing...
Before midnight

Norm

We had a house move and all the 10mm / 12mm were packaged to what I had believed was a satisfactory degree ..... however ..... upon opening everything in the trays were in a jumble. On closer inspection, the jumble mass had clearly been sliding around and there were scratches down to the metal on many figures, especially on exposed parts such as elbows, shoulders and tops of heads etc.

So I have been going over all scratches with a 'blob' of primer and putting the block colours back in - though for my ACW Union, I have gone for a slightly lighter (dark) blue and also changed the pants colour of the Union to a better one and for the Confederates, a lighter gray (and not inked / shaded)

However, the results have been quite startling, because I am quickly hitting main parts of the figures with the new shade, there remains plenty of the old background darker colours in recesses etc and this is actually making the figures pop more than they did so before (read that as they never popped at all!) and I am liking the look. The bases are also being re-flocked which adds more texture, which also is a closer match to the flock on my Kallistra hex tiles.

Anyway the WWII need a similar 'rescue', so I am hoping my quick hit re-furb done over the last few days, with breath new life into these chaps. It is true that smaller figures hold be painted a bit brighter, seems I am accidentally discovering what many have known for ages !

paulr

I'm glad to hear the rescue has turned out so well

On the few occasions I have moved house all my troops have been transported by me :-SS

For the last couple of moves this has involved multiple trips :-[ ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton