A Tale of Four Gamers - the Sequel

Started by Steve J, 23 November 2016, 10:00:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

My mom has Parkinsons which is a huge risk factor for falling.   The time that the Physical Therapist giving her an exam told her to close her eyes while remaining standing and she lasted for about a second before needing to grab a rail really brought it home.

But she is aware of the danger and afraid enough of falling that she doesn't have too many incidents.  The only bad one was when she was walking backwards with her rolling walker in a hardware store, tripped and impaled herself on some tent spikes or something similar.  At the time she was on pain killers for a back problem and she hardly complained even though we had to wait a while in an empty emergency room for a few stitches.

Anyway, hopefully the docs can fix up your MIL.  And push those liquids on her.

Nosher

Hydration in the elderly is really tough, Few adults drink enough to properly hydrate anyway so most of the issue is learnt behaviour we carry on into later life.

The issue is compounded further by 'the more you drink, the more you pee' meaning you're on your feet more often and therefore more likely to fall. Throw into the mix medication for heart failure or oedema and the problem is further compounded without even taking into consideration decreasing mobility brought on by old age.

Cups of tea are poor in terms of hydration - far more important to be taking on water,

Did the ambulance service mention a Falls Referral at all Phil? Here in Suffolk we can refer a faller to colleagues within the occupational therapy field who can visit patients at home and assess their mobility and the general safety of patients in their home. They can advise and often put in place things that can help the elderly mobilise more independantly at home - hand rails and raised toilet seats - walk in showers etc? They also look at carpets, rugs and doorsteps and even take into account things like entries and exist from the property as well as personal alarms.

Good luck with getting MIL up and about and back home  ;)
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Steve J

Just finished adding new brass wire lances to the EMM2 Mounted Sergeants, to give a greater variety of poses.

Techno

Quote from: Nosher on 06 December 2016, 07:41:41 AM
Did the ambulance service mention a Falls Referral at all Phil? Here in Suffolk we can refer a faller to colleagues within the occupational therapy field who can visit patients at home and assess their mobility and the general safety of patients in their home. They can advise and often put in place things that can help the elderly mobilise more independantly at home - hand rails and raised toilet seats - walk in showers etc? They also look at carpets, rugs and doorsteps and even take into account things like entries and exist from the property as well as personal alarms.
Good luck with getting MIL up and about and back home  ;)

Quite a lot of that's been done already, Nosher......There was a bit of a fight over the raised loo seat.....MIL kept taking it away...Von kept putting it back.
I think Von's won, now.  :)

OTs have put in rails in appropriate areas........But we're still having a fight over all the mats/rugs she has strewn all over the place......We're not happy about those at all, from a safety point of view.....and she will insist on shuffling about in a pair of loose, ill fitting slippers......even though we've bought her new ones.
The one thing we'll be looking at getting, (which we haven't got yet) is a 'seat' for the shower......That's the place I DREAD her falling over in, as it'll be almost impossible for the pair of us to move her from.

The 'memory nurse' that came round a week or so ago, said the MIL's so set in her ways, it'll be very difficult to get her to change.

We'll see.

Cheers - Phil.

fred.

Sounds tough Phil

It might be worth using the stay in hospital as a way to make some changes regarding  the rugs and slippers. Hopefully she will be pleased to be back home, and be less upset about the changes. You can always blame them on the hospital anyway! Say that they said it had to be clear for her to get around.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Just opened a nice package from Pendraken for my planned Imagi-Nations Ancients forces, which was nice as no energy for painting etc after a long day at work :)

Techno

Quote from: fred. on 06 December 2016, 06:26:06 PM
It might be worth using the stay in hospital as a way to make some changes regarding  the rugs and slippers. Hopefully she will be pleased to be back home, and be less upset about the changes. You can always blame them on the hospital anyway! Say that they said it had to be clear for her to get around.

Hmmmm......Might be worth a try. :-\

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

More paint applied to figures tonight.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

Making a few desultory moves with the brush over wild west stuff, but clearly shan't finish it this year.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Finished basic cleaning up of some Sassanid Persians for a planned Ancients force, using Sword & Spear as the preferred ruleset. Lovely figures with great character. I have a plan to finished these by the end of the year, so that I can kick off a campaign of some sort or other....

Matt J

WORK, KIDS, WORK, KIDS, WORK, KIDS, WORK, KIDS, WORK, KIDS  >:(

at some point it'll be nice to do some painting again  :(
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Techno

I'll swap ya !

No......Perhaps not !..... ;) ;D

Hope you get back in the groove soon, Matey !

Cheers - Phil