Painting guides for LOA

Started by Rougue, 21 November 2016, 03:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougue

I'm looking for some help on reference guide's for painting the great LOA figures I'm new to this period and would like help finding color guides for the period ie Osprey or whatever material is available for a newbie.         Thank's
                                           Mike

Westmarcher

You mention Osprey, Mike. How about Osprey's Louis XIV's Army and The British Army 1660-1704 for starters?

Partizan Press might also be a contender (e.g., The Army of James II - uniforms & organisation by S. Ede-Borrett).

There's also the League of Augsburg website and blog - might be something there?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fred.

It's a fairly big period - do you have a particular bit you are interested in? This can help with googling answers.

I've decided to paint my units based in the Battle of the Boyne - which seems to give a good mix of troops, which can be used more generally.
It also seems to be a not very well documented era! So there is a lot of conjecture.

In general you have French in grey, British in dark red, Dutch guard in blue. But this is far from the case for every regiment. Then you have facing colours and flags!!

These are great figures, and are very enjoyable to paint!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Glorfindel

21 November 2016, 08:58:32 PM #3 Last Edit: 21 November 2016, 09:02:00 PM by Glorfindel
My understanding is that information on uniforms in the LOA is pretty limited
and can take a bit of digging.

The best source I am aware of isn't cheap I'm afraid - the series of Uniform
CDs by Robert Hall (and colleagues).   These are available from Baccus :

http://www.baccus6mm.com/catalogue/WSSUniformCDs/

Another good option (recommended above) is to visit the League of Augsburg
forum and ask away.  This is free & if the information is available, you will find it
there.

Sorry - probably not the answer you were looking for.

Phil

PS.   Just remembered - the nice people from Warfare Miniatures have recently
published a series of uniform guides for the Battle of the Boyne :

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/products-cat-34.html

Might be useful.

fred.

Quote from: Glorfindel on 21 November 2016, 08:58:32 PM
PS.   Just remembered - the nice people from Warfare Miniatures have recently
published a series of uniform guides for the Battle of the Boyne :

http://www.leagueofaugsburg.com/shop/products-cat-34.html

I have several of these - they are good, giving both details of the units involved in different parts of the battle, and their uniforms and flags. But some of the info is conjectural, based on what is likely, rather than entirely made-up. But it is interesting that there are differences between some of their flags and some of the Pendraken ones.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mollinary

If I remember correctly Mark Allen produced an excellent series of uniform and flag prints for various armies, but largely the French, for this period in Wargamers Illustrated. They are just about the only back copies I kept.  Did WI not produce some CDs of these a few years back?

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

clibinarium

All good recommendations (I'm a fan of Mark Allen's articles), but if you are new to the period and need a one-stop-shop sort of guide, your best bet is From Pike to Shot: Armies and Battles of Western Europe, 1685-1720 by Charles Grant. Its got loads of info, some (rather spidery) black and white illustrations, and covers most aspects of uniforms, though it omits flags.
You can look at more specific (and expensive) sources if you get more into the period.

Rougue

Thank You All for the help, Clib yes I am new just trying to figure out where I want to be in this period. I've looked at the wonderful photo's of the finished product on the website and there amazing big reason I'm diving in. I've got some place to start but I'm sure I'll have more question's.
                                                                                                                      Thank You Again!
                                                                                                                          Mike

Chad

I have the Mark Allen articles plus Baccus cds and several booklets that give uniform details of other nations. Happy to help with information if I have it. League of Augsburg Forum also very helpful.

Chad

Aksu

Hullo,
Chad was super helpful when I was looking for LoA info on the Dutch and French. A true gentleman.
Cheers,
Aksu

Bunny

Quote from: Rougue on 21 November 2016, 03:04:06 PM
I'm looking for some help on reference guide's for painting the great LOA figures I'm new to this period and would like help finding color guides for the period ie Osprey or whatever material is available for a newbie.         Thank's
                                           Mike

Hi Rougue,

I have painted up a larges collection representing both sides, I went to a lot of other wargames site and copied their colour schemes, 'Don't Roll Ones' was one such site.

Check my blog

http://warrenswargamerantings.blogspot.com/

Bunny

Quote from: Chad on 23 November 2016, 07:49:44 AM
I have the Mark Allen articles plus Baccus cds and several booklets that give uniform details of other nations. Happy to help with information if I have it. League of Augsburg Forum also very helpful.

Chad

Chad, would you happen to have any info on the Spanish?  I know their infantry had a great range of colours but I have no info on their horse or dragoons.

I'm looking at adding a Spanish brigade with supporting cavalry and a dragoon regiment.

Any info would be greatly recieved

Glorfindel

Hope I can help with the Spanish.   I have a copy of a guide to
the Spanish Armies of the LOA (1688-1697).   It includes a large
number of colour plates (including Inf, Cav, Dragoons etc).   
Happy to send a copy.

Just send me a personal mail with your email address and I will
forward this to you.

Cheers,

Phil

Bunny

Quote from: Glorfindel on 26 November 2016, 09:57:43 AM
Hope I can help with the Spanish.   I have a copy of a guide to
the Spanish Armies of the LOA (1688-1697).   It includes a large
number of colour plates (including Inf, Cav, Dragoons etc).   
Happy to send a copy.

Just send me a personal mail with your email address and I will
forward this to you.

Cheers,

Hi Phil

Email sent

Phil