Started by lowlylowlycook, 15 November 2016, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

Thanks guys.  You all were a real source of help and inspiration.

When I get back home I should really get back to finishing my 28mm Italians and Ethiopians but while I was cutting up my cloth terrain and listening to a D6Generation interview with Rick Priestly I started wondering if I should consider doing a pair of 10mm armies for Beyond the Gates of Antares.  Locally we've been playing quite a bit of Bolt Action and BtGoA sounds a bit better as a game, it's just that none of the factions have really spoken to me. 

Then again 10mm minis are pretty small for individual basing.

I guess I should look around here for what people have done with 10mm on a skirmish scale.

fred.

The two KoW armies in a box are great - they have really come together nicely.

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 19 February 2017, 07:32:06 PM
I started wondering if I should consider doing a pair of 10mm armies for Beyond the Gates of Antares.  Locally we've been playing quite a bit of Bolt Action and BtGoA sounds a bit better as a game, it's just that none of the factions have really spoken to me. 

Then again 10mm minis are pretty small for individual basing.

I guess I should look around here for what people have done with 10mm on a skirmish scale.

We've played a bit of Chain of Command, WWII skirmish, with 10mm figures. I went with a mix of single based on washers and pairs on 30x15mm bases. Single based generally for NCOs and officers, pairs for most of the normal troops. Heavy weapons got 2 or 3 figures to a square base.

The advantage of the pairs is that there are less small things to move around - the disadvantage is that you can't spread out as much.

Probably the biggest downside is that it can be quite hard to tell stuff apart - this isn't too bad in WWII where you have fairly limited troop types. But in Sci Fi it could get complex.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

lowlylowlycook

Well, the portable KoW set made it's way to the Atlantic coast and my nephew and I played a couple games here at the beach. 
More specifically on the coffee table in my room.

Orcs line up against the dwarves.  The red "houses" are the objective markers.

Hiding behind a wall is a typical dwarven trick

The full lines have clashed.  Note the lonely unit of half-trolls in the background...

Most of my orcs are outflanked and about to be eliminated!

However the dwarves' stumpy legs betrayed them and they weren't able to reach any of the objectives in the last turn.  My half-trolls therefore won the game by being camped out in safety next to an objective.

Bonus pic, my nephew teaching his sister how to apply a wash to the zombie she painted.  He set up an improvised paint station in my room here.

fred.

Cool stuff - I'd forgotten how good these armies look.

And good work on getting the next generation gaming too.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Great work all =D> =D> =D>

I particularly like the younger generation ignoring the big screen tv :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: paulr on 28 July 2017, 03:39:21 AM

That is a sight to warm the heart!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

fsn

Sister's expression seems to say "I just painted this figure and now he's going to splash gunk all over it?"

;D ;D ;D

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Roy

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: paulr on 28 July 2017, 03:39:21 AM

It's  more amazing that they aren't looking at their phones 😄

DFlynSqrl

Very cool.  Great way to spend down time.

Quote from: fsn on 28 July 2017, 08:17:14 AM
Sister's expression seems to say "I just painted this figure and now he's going to splash gunk all over it?"

;D

Womble67

Very nice indeed

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

lowlylowlycook

I neglected to mention that in the second beach game my both forces got out their nerf swords and therefore were stuck in the middle of the battlefield.  My nephew won because his one unit of dwarf rangers was the only one entirely on his opponents side of the board. 

The results of the beach games was that my nephew decided that "his" dwarves needed some more firepower.  Since almost immediately after the beach vacation I had to run out to my brothers house for a good 5 days of babysitting I took the opportunity to bring some gunner dwarves and slightly higher quality brushes so my nephew could paint them. 

Not bad, in my unbiased opinion.  He said that it was fun but that he thought painting 28's was better.  To be fair that was pretty much my opinion after painting my first unit of 10mm dwarves.  It grows on you.