First book to read on the SYW

Started by cameronian, 07 November 2016, 07:54:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cameronian

If anyone asked me 'what book should I start with if I want to get an idea about the military side of the war of 1866' I would unhesitatingly answer, Gordon Craig's 'Koniggratz'. So you SYW buffs, what's the SYW equivalent ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Glorfindel

I would probably suggest "The Military Experience in the Age of Reason" by Christopher Duffy,
closely followed by "Armies of the Seven Years War" by Digby Smith.   The first is superb as
an overview of the era while the second gives information needed by a wargamer.

Phil

fsn

Wow!  :o

I'm not a big fan of the fluffy century, but I have two books on the subject - "The Military Experience in the Age of Reason" by Christopher Duffy, and "Armies of the Seven Years War" by Digby Smith.

Gosh! I may have done something right.   :o

They are good primers on the subject.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

The Duffy book is superb and a great place to start.

FierceKitty

I add my voice whole-heartedly to the above chorus.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 07 November 2016, 09:39:32 AM
Wow!  :o

I'm not a big fan of the fluffy century, but I have two books on the subject - "The Military Experience in the Age of Reason" by Christopher Duffy, and "Armies of the Seven Years War" by Digby Smith.

Gosh! I may have done something right.   :o

They are good primers on the subject.

You do a lot of things right Stewart, I have just referred an undergraduate student to your post on T34V A4 Easy Eight (Korea) as a good example of how to make a point and buttress it with scholarly citation via footnotes.

Cheers

James

cameronian

I've got Duffy, ordered Digby Smith, any thoughts on the Caliver series - Armies and Uniforms of the Seven Years War Vols 1, 2, 3. Also any thoughts on Prof Szabo's new offering ?
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

FierceKitty

07 November 2016, 12:29:16 PM #7 Last Edit: 07 November 2016, 12:33:46 PM by FierceKitty
The "18th Century Press" books are dismally written; I rather regret wasting my cash, so avoid them.  Do you know this site?

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=Main_Page

You don't need much else for painting guides.

mollinary

The excellent Dennis Showalter, who wrote a brilliant book on the Wars of German Unification, has also written a splendid volume on this period. -The Wars of Frederick the Great.   I would thoroughly recommend it as a start.  Duffy's Military Life of Frederick the Great is also very worthwhile, as you would expect from a man of Duffy's stature. I think it appears in a number of editions, including a slightly different title.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Glorfindel

I've got the Caliver series - an excellent source with wide, detailed
coverage.   I would certainly recommend them.

However, I don't think you can beat the Kronoskaf site for sheer
wealth of information (particularly given that its free !).

Phil

Hwiccee

Quote from: cameronian on 07 November 2016, 12:23:57 PM
Also any thoughts on Prof Szabo's new offering ?

Szabo's book is good I think. He gives a history of the whole war and not just the typical 'What Frederick' did accounts which don't even tell you all about the war against Prussia, His book links the different theatres of war in Europe together and so gives a good overall view of the war. Szabo's work is also one of the few in English that argues the common view expressed in other languages that Frederick was not that good a general. The key to this is that the Prussians survived the SYW, rather than won it, despite Frederick rather than because of Frederick. This is a valid argument but I suspect Szabo pushes it too far.

A good book and interesting contrast to most English accounts, but a good argument spoilt by the obvious dislike of Frederick.

cameronian

Thanks to all. I'll buy the Szabo as well, always thought the soubriquet 'the great' should have been awarded to Maria Theresa not furtive Freddie.

FierceKitty

In all fairness, he was up against most of Europe in the war, wrote well enough to catch Voltaire's eye, wasn't shy of a musical evening with Bach, no less, passed some good laws, and enjoyed a joke at his own expense.

Hwiccee

Quote from: cameronian on 08 November 2016, 07:49:34 AM
Thanks to all. I'll buy the Szabo as well, always thought the soubriquet 'the great' should have been awarded to Maria Theresa not furtive Freddie.

and

Quote from: FierceKitty on 08 November 2016, 08:15:12 AM
In all fairness, he was up against most of Europe in the war,.

Szabo doesn't talk about this but arguably the odds facing Maria Theresa in the WAS were greater than those facing Frederick in the SYW. Both had it very easy compared to Charles XII of Sweden earlier.

Szabo and others have pointed out that the two sides were a lot more even than is commonly stated in English works. Also Frederick started the war and so if he was against the odds that was his fault. They also point out that Frederick 'lost the war' but got lucky and managed to get a draw out of it.

Worth a read I think if you are interested in the period.

FierceKitty

Agree entirely that the war was Fred's fault, and that he was damned lucky to survive it. Likewise that Maria Theresa was a most impressive woman.