Hello from Suffolk UK

Started by Dangerdaz, 01 November 2016, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpixie

QuoteLeman - By the way, Ian is an entertaining whinger from the Wirral - not as amusing as Half Man Half Biscuit though.

Nothing is as amusing as the mighty Biscuit! Swiftly, to Youtube!

Unless Ian would like to give us a tune for comparison?

More on thread I was going to suggest BBB as well, it's a bit higher scale I think than you were considering but there's an entire FPW campaign in the main rule book and it plays brilliantly.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Drat, missed BBB off my list, I would give them a blast too!  :D
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

mollinary

Welcome Dd,

As others have said, the Pendraken mid nineteenth century ranges are second to none.  If you want to fight Corp on Corps battles with battalions about the size you mention, then you could do a lot worse than start with the Realtime Wargames ruleset "To the Last Gaiter Button" for the Imperial phase of FPW, "Trapped Like a Fox"  for the APW, and, for the Republican phase of the FPW, "Paris, the City of Light". They are simple, great fun, and include a campaign system.

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

I have "Trapped like a fox" and it's really good - well recommended! Although I'm more likely to use the campaugn structure with BBB for the battles, I think :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Quote from: Westmarcher on 02 November 2016, 10:06:14 AM
Welcome, Dd. On a lower scale of action, Field of Battle (2nd ed.) are good rules, too.

Link to author's blog:- http://wargamesandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&max-results=45
And you can use the same figures to play both levels of action, especially if you base 25mm-30mm frontage.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fsn

Welcome Daz.

Quote from: mad lemmey on 02 November 2016, 08:57:49 AM
That's a very good description of FSN.
We Runcorn dwellers look to the Wirral in awe and wonder! It is a magical place where the streets are ... the streets are. It's Oz to our Munchkinland.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nosher

I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Dangerdaz

Quote from: Nosher on 02 November 2016, 07:21:47 PM
Where in Suffolk chap?

Carlton colville, outskirts of Lowestoft.

Thanks for the warm welcome one n all. I will give the various rules a look, not heard of a few of those. I see nobody has recommended 1870 which I bought lol.
Still can never have enough rules!
Yup I like a decent amount of figures on the table but I guess I'm used to battalions rather than Regts.

d_Guy

Welcome to the forum Danger. I have nearly 400 Pendraken FPW (Bavarian, French and Prussian). Forty-five are actually painted. There are several regular posters who do FPW fairly intensely so you will be in very good company.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

mollinary

1870 was a very wise and good value purchase. :D :D :D  I have all three of Bruce Weigle's rule sets, and they are brilliant intros to the period, full of OOBs, excellent scenarios, detailed descriptions of  weapons, and tactics, and the best and most helpful bibliographies I have come across. The rules are not quite my cup of tea, because I tend to go in for bigger scale units, but that doesn't mean they  are bad.  Enjoy the period, it is brilliant and addictive!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

03 November 2016, 12:36:08 PM #26 Last Edit: 03 November 2016, 12:38:48 PM by mad lemmey
Thus speaks one of the masters.
Anyadvice from Mollinary, Cameronian, Le Manchu, or Chad or Leman (or many others) is brilliant and has solved many quandaries I have had with 1870.
Just don't ask about Austrian jäger rifles in 1866...
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Nosher

Quote from: Dangerdaz on 02 November 2016, 11:00:13 PM
Carlton colville, outskirts of Lowestoft.

Here in Ipswich if you fancy a game some time. Is there a club in Loooowestofff?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Dangerdaz

Quote from: Nosher on 03 November 2016, 08:56:55 PM
Here in Ipswich if you fancy a game some time. Is there a club in Loooowestofff?

Sounds good bud. Not a club in Lowestoft but I am a member of new Buckenham historical wargamers. Which is a small but amazing club.
Check us out on FB. We recently did D-day in 20mm, which was spectacular.

Nosher

It would be good to meet up and have a game some time. Feel free to PM me buddy ;)

Frank Carson