Dacians with javelins?

Started by irregularwars, 26 October 2016, 11:06:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irregularwars

Does anyone have any more photos of the Dacian javelineers (AD6). How would they mix with the Saxon Great Fyrd (AS4)? I am starting to think about putting together bases of Saxon warriors for Dux Bellorum.

Cheers,

Nic
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

There really needs to be an early Saxon range that is compatible with the Late Roman range for gaming post-Roman Britain. There are so many good sets of rules out there for this period now.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

irregularwars

I couldn't agree more. At the moment I am thinking of intermixing Saxons, Vikings and Dacians to get a balance right, but it's tricky.

Matt J

They would mix in well but the dacian javelinmen have oval shields not round.
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

irregularwars

HHmmmmm......  :-\

Might be a strange question, but how oval? Are they very oval, or just, sort of, sub-circular?  :)

Luddite

Well, the Germanic cultures of the late-Roman and post-Roman period will have either been, or had grandfathers who were feoderati troops and they will certainly have had awareness of and possibly access to the Roman "oval" scutum. 

Since much of our evidence from the period comes from shieldbosses, the actual shield shapes are often speculative (except where shield rims of other evidence survives).

I wouldn't worry too much about mixing a few oval shields in with the Anglo-Saxons.
http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

"It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo my thoughs acquire speed the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone i set my mind in motion."

"The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules." - Gary Gygax
"Maybe emu trampling created the desert?" - FierceKitty

"I have become inappropriately excited by the thought of a compendium of OOBs." FSN

irregularwars

Oh, I already do include a few Late Roman shields in my mix, but I was thinking of mixing it up a bit with the new bases.

Otherwise I will stick with the Late Roman Saxon militia types.  :-\

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I might have to do a similar mix for my Attacotti.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

They look very good. I always try and mix my 'at and coat.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Must admit that mine are anachronistic - I used the late Saxons for them. For Fyrd you could use any medieval peasant figures. The war dogs are 15mm SciFi ones. You could also look at the Baggage Train Carolingians - if Oates has ever photod them.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Jesus

2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!