Master list for the new Korean War range - Input required!

Started by Leon, 25 October 2016, 09:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these ranges would you be most likely to buy first?

American - Early war kit
11 (20.4%)
American - Later war kit
18 (33.3%)
British - Tropical kit
7 (13%)
British - Commandos
11 (20.4%)
British - Later war kit
21 (38.9%)
North Korean
32 (59.3%)
South Korean
12 (22.2%)
Chinese - Summer kit
12 (22.2%)
Chinese - Winter kit
25 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

fsn

Ah! I thought the Centurion, being a masterful and innovative beast that it was, may have been issued experimentally with an IR searchlight.

Didn't the Germans mount one on a Panther?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

To be strictly accurate no, the Panthers had an infra-red viewer with a range of roughly 500m - the searchlight was on a 251/?? with a range of 1000m or there abouts. It also had a very limited field of view.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 04 October 2017, 07:14:15 AM

Leon's only mentioned a radio op....But I'll check and see if he'd like me to do a separate figure.

Cheers - Phil

You have clearance from Leon for two officers.  One in bush hat being the field rank.   What about the other being very senior staff officer in tropical gear -  safari type 4 pocket single breasted jacket - shirt over jacket lapels, , Webley .38 on belt, SD peaked cap with binos - in the same dolly pose as the South Korean Senior rank.....with radio operator ?

Worth a hell of a lot of proxy applications !  :-bd

But its Leon's train set - his call

James

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 24 September 2017, 08:24:16 PM
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/british-troops-leave-hong-kong-to-fight-in-korea-men-of-the-1st-batt-picture-id613467052[/img]

Ok, the officer front and centre.  Might have been No6 ( ?) dress tropical circa 1950s. Very popular throughout Commonwealth well into the 70s as a working dress as opposed to No2s - although the SD cap is from the No2.

Now would a figure in that uniform  - in conjunction with R/O - find a lot of command bases on a wargames table ? circa 1945- 70s (bushwars etc). 

fsn

Think you chopped off a bit too much of the link ...

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

Thanks Nobby.  Your diligence in sourcing and posting is appreciated.  :)

I have to report from the coal face that Phil's sculpting of the early war Brits is superb.

I was going to give this sub range a bye - and major on the Royal Marines

However, having seen these masterpieces emerging, I am ...tempted.  ^#(^ 

Especially as one proxy is early Israeli infantry (circa 1956) - if you want to convert the Mk IV Enfield to a Czech Mauser, which is not a challenge in 10mm.

My last big family game left me with a river/canal ,bridges,  shanty town , docks and airfield -  sounds like Suez. - or  a proxy based on that.    A little earlier -say 1950 - in an Arab kingdom.   

Techno

I've taken the officer's gaiters of, now, James.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 06 October 2017, 11:23:22 AM
I've taken the officer's gaiters of, now, James.  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Yes, a lot more comfortable when you are inside beside the fire.  But full marks for wearing them for 24 hours.  Hope they haven't chaffed the ankles too much. 

The lengths you go for realism in sculpting a figure knows no bounds.   I am going to call that officer "Philip". 

Techno - we salute you.  :-bd

Sunray

Ok, lets get in the 2Rep mode.  Phil needs images of French Foreign Legion style French beret.  Images that reflect the distinct Left hand pull that leaves the badge over the right eye- or in the case of the Legion - over the right ear.

This will be a distinctive command sculpt that Phil does so well, US Korea era uniform.

Korea apart - how may proxy wars can this figure feature on?   Thanks Leon - good call.   I already call this figure "Steiner"  :-bd

So, go on,  hunt up for Techno a few good images that will inspire a historic sculpt. 

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

+1 Vic !  Like  all Berets they began to shrink in size around 1960.  I do like the last image.   Is that de Castries ?

Techno

Right, Gang........

I'm ready to start making the final 'mob' for the Korean War.

(The final 2 'mobs' really.  ;))

These are (A) the 'Chinese in tunic and soft cap'.....

And (B ) the 'Chinese in winter weather gear....

I'm happy about the references for the winter gear chaps at the very beginning of this thread.....But I'm not sure if there are any pictured in the tunic and soft cap ?
(There may be, but I'm not convinced I might not be looking at North Korean soldiers.)

Anyone got the time to post any piccies (or links) so I can check the uniform ?......Pretty please. (Nobby...This means you, probably. ;))

I'll do the usual.....Make one or two of the figures...Take piccies, then get James, Leon & Nobby to give them the once over, so I know I'm on the right lines.
All the dollies for the first lot are already stuck firmly to corks with Green Stuff.....So I'm ready to forge ahead......And go faster than I have been for the past few months, so I can get the WHOLE lot up to Leon more quickly than I was originally intending.

Cheers - Phil