Master list for the new Korean War range - Input required!

Started by Leon, 25 October 2016, 09:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these ranges would you be most likely to buy first?

American - Early war kit
11 (20.4%)
American - Later war kit
18 (33.3%)
British - Tropical kit
7 (13%)
British - Commandos
11 (20.4%)
British - Later war kit
21 (38.9%)
North Korean
32 (59.3%)
South Korean
12 (22.2%)
Chinese - Summer kit
12 (22.2%)
Chinese - Winter kit
25 (46.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 01 February 2017, 11:35:09 AM

Ill have a better look later, but apparently he didn't exist below waist level.
;D

Perhaps they mounted him on tracks ?

Seriously there is an oil painting of him meeting McArthur - a sort of "Stonewall meets Robert E Lee " The painting depicts Paik in M43 jacket, a neck scarf and soft field cap.   give him bins, a map and pointing and you have a classical command figure.

Now here is the clever bit. In this pose - with minimum equipment other than a belt/pistol - he would make a perfect proxy figure for Major General Jeremy Moore , "de boss" chose the Norwegian field cap for two reasons (1) It made him instantly recognisable when he appeared amongst his men and (2) He was a Royal to the core, but the cap gave a more neutral message when he had to command Paras, Guards, Ghurkhas, Royal Artillery, Household Cavalry  and other manner of creeping things ....

The Falklands range needs a Command figure - the poor chap from the mortar platoon (with binos) is making executive decisions way above his pay grade !   

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

He really didn't like his feet being photographed did he!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Sunray

My thanks to Nobby for some great images - I like the one of the American General with his highly polished boots and the obligatory grenade in his web!  :'(

Like he was going to need a grenade !  They stopped the practice on Vietnam when the accident that was waiting actually happened !

Now - do you like the suggestion of a cap, binos and pointing figure that could proxy for say Jeremy Moore ?  :-

Techno

I'm confused (again).  :-[

I'm working on the American chap firing the M20 bazooka.

From the images I can find.....The' pistol grip' and 'trigger' are fairly obvious.....But how is the bazooka balanced by the left hand ? (Assuming I've got the chap using it, firing it right handed)

Some of the pics just seem to have the 'firer balancing' the front end of the weapon by simply holding the barrel underneath, with his left hand.
Others seem to show some sort of 'bolt on' handle/grip a little way in front of the trigger...(underneath the barrel)....with the left hand gripping that.

Which one's correct ?.....Or can the M20 be used in either way ?

Cheers - Phil

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 01 March 2017, 05:07:58 PM
I'm confused (again).  :-[

I'm working on the American chap firing the M20 bazooka.

From the images I can find.....The' pistol grip' and 'trigger' are fairly obvious.....But how is the bazooka balanced by the left hand ? (Assuming I've got the chap using it, firing it right handed)

Some of the pics just seem to have the 'firer balancing' the front end of the weapon by simply holding the barrel underneath, with his left hand.
Others seem to show some sort of 'bolt on' handle/grip a little way in front of the trigger...(underneath the barrel)....with the left hand gripping that.

Cheers - Phil

Phil, the firer has his right hand on the pistol grip, the left hand is holding the metal frame in front of the grip - the frame is an oversized  trigger guard
The existing Pendraken figure Marine has got it right

James

fsn

Like the legs on the character to the right

A team mans a Bazooka at the Battle of Osan. Members of the 24th Infantry Division, first United States ground units to reach the front, go into action against North Korean forces at the village of Sojong-Ni, near Osan. At right is Private First Class Kenneth Shadrick, who was killed by enemy fire a few moments after this photo was made, thus becoming the first United States soldier to die in the Korean campaign.

Military exercise of NPR(National Police Reserve of Japan), Year 1951/ Japanese book "Showa History Vol.14: Peace and Independence" published by Mainichi Newspapers Company.This photograph has already been made public.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Techno

Got it....Ta chaps  :)...So basically, the hands are touching each other as far as the model is concerned.

The 'bolt on' grip probably belongs to a more modern (?) type of bazooka, said he, guessing wildly....as it appears to be at least 'a foot' in front of the trigger itself.

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Can you do the legs like the chap in the first picture?

Also, I think his loader may be touching his bottom. Presumably as some kind of signal.

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 02 March 2017, 07:00:38 AM
Got it....Ta chaps  :)...So basically, the hands are touching each other as far as the model is concerned.

Cheers - Phil

Yes,  all images support that premise.  The M20 was originally conceived to be used with a ground/vehicle mount- hence the bar behind pistol grip
However, Korea demanded more mobile and off hand deployment, so the grunts had make do and mend using the large trigger guard as an improvised grip- Note - Only the top and bottom images supplied by fsn (get my email Stewart)? are of the M20- the middle two are the smaller M1/M9.

Holding on for dear life to the flimsy trigger guard was not ideal - but then combat conditions seldom are.  I would not be surprised if a more satisfactory grip was improvised.

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 02 March 2017, 07:46:55 AM
Can you do the legs like the chap in the first picture?

Yes......But I'm not going to.  :P ;)......Means even MORE work.  ;D ;D ;D
My loader is NOT touching the firer's botty.

Cheers - Phil.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Proves a previous point - Phil wont do anything.

On the Bazooka - looked at two sources from mid-late 70's - the picis show no hand grip, and I cant remember one.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Mako

Here's a link to lots of pics of the larger, M20 bazooka:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=631&q=m20+bazooka&oq=m20+bazooka&gs_l=img.3..0j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.1168.5076.0.5455.11.11.0.0.0.0.149.1194.1j10.11.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.1179.aAZVH4ebOTE

As you can see, it can be fired prone as well.

Would love to have a pose option like that, with, or without the bipod, but with the 3.5" bazooka.

You can use existing Falklands Argentine prone troops, and just modify them a little, and add on the bazooka, to get that.  I'm considering doing that with some figs I've ordered.

There's one of a guy firing a RR in the Argentine range, IIRC, which would be perfect for this - Code FLA 21 - 90mm RR.

Sunray

Quote from: Mako on 04 March 2017, 04:28:45 AM
Here's a link to lots of pics of the larger, M20 bazooka:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=631&q=m20+bazooka&oq=m20+bazooka&gs_l=img.3..0j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.1168.5076.0.5455.11.11.0.0.0.0.149.1194.1j10.11.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.11.1179.aAZVH4ebOTE

As you can see, it can be fired prone as well.

Would love to have a pose option like that, with, or without the bipod, but with the 3.5" bazooka.

You can use existing Falklands Argentine prone troops, and just modify them a little, and add on the bazooka, to get that.  I'm considering doing that with some figs I've ordered.

There's one of a guy firing a RR in the Argentine range, IIRC, which would be perfect for this - Code FLA 21 - 90mm RR.

Thanks Marko !  These shots of the M20 without crew are ideal for Phil to get an understanding of the flimsy trigger guard that the crewman had to hold on to-  no mean feat to steady such a weapon - take aim and fire the rocket.

Mako

Yea, it does look a bit wonky.

I suspect the rear shoulder brace helped considerably with the stability, and only a little upward pressure on the firing handle/grip was needed to ensure that the weapon stayed in place.  No doubt, the weight of the projectile in the rear of the tube probably also aided this too.