A late 25 pounder

Started by Sunray, 21 October 2016, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

For Korea. With the distinctive muzzle brake.  Loads of other armies used them up until 1980s.

paulr

New Zealand is still using 25pdrs as saluting guns, they don't have the distinctive muzzle brake
One, at least, dates from 1941 according to the marks on the gun
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Wulf

Edinburgh Castle ran out of blank ammo around 2001 I believe.

Ithoriel

Don't know that it was due to running out of ammo but the gun was certainly swapped for a more modern 105mm in 2001.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

We're not the only ones still using the 25pdrs and they are still making blank ammo for them. NZ had a bad batch a few years ago which caused misfires, very embarrassing during a 21 gun salute as each of the four guns firing the salute dropped out after each misfire. I believe they only managed about 16 rounds before all four guns had a misfired round in the breech :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Sunray

The Irish Army only retired their 25s in 2007. The ammo was sourced from India or Pakistan.  I am unsure of the Irish still keep a battery for ceremonial.  It depends if the blanks are available.

The battery in  action in the Bridge Too Far is Irish Army.

FierceKitty

Yez can just shout "Bang!" and all.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Sunray

Quote from: paulr on 21 October 2016, 11:11:09 PM
We're not the only ones still using the 25pdrs and they are still making blank ammo for them. NZ had a bad batch a few years ago which caused misfires, very embarrassing during a 21 gun salute as each of the four guns firing the salute dropped out after each misfire. I believe they only managed about 16 rounds before all four guns had a misfired round in the breech :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I emailed an old friend (Irish Army Colonel retired).  He can confirm that the reason why British & Irish 25prds were "retired" from ceremonial duty was the reliability of the ammo.   Just too embarrassing at prestigious events .  Mike was of the opinion that the ammo was manufactured in India or Pakistan.   It was just too expensive to make locally, and blank 105mm was dirt cheap.  Defence matters are always decided on what is dirt cheap.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The muzzle brake is to allow firing of a higher charge. The NZ army didn't need this - so no muzzle brake. British Army was still using them until the early/mid seventies as training weapons. NZ arty in Korea doesn't have muzzle brakes. They supplied at least 1 rgt.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Quote from: ianrs54 on 23 October 2016, 06:49:13 AM
The muzzle brake is to allow firing of a higher charge. The NZ army didn't need this - so no muzzle brake. British Army was still using them until the early/mid seventies as training weapons. NZ arty in Korea doesn't have muzzle brakes. They supplied at least 1 rgt.

IanS

Thanks Ian.  NZ guns are good to go.  Just need Korean crews

fsn

A question for the crafty elves and technical dwarves.

Would it be possible just to model the muzzle brake and pop this on to the existing model's gun barrel?   
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Quote from: ianrs54 on 23 October 2016, 06:49:13 AM
NZ arty in Korea doesn't have muzzle brakes. They supplied at least 1 rgt.
:o

Where do you get all this?

How extensive is your library?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

I know everything !!!! Unlike certain oiks. Think the stuff about NZ 25pdrs is in one of Ian Hogg's books - or possibly by Shelford Biddwell.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Sunray

Kiwis  apart. the rest the Commonwealth (45th, 14th, 20th Field Regiments RA) and the 5th Field Regiment R Canadian A used the later 25 pounder with muzzle break.   And we do need this late war/post war/modern icon.

I suspect that in 1/150 scale it just means a new barrel on existing mould?