1/400 HMS Victory

Started by SV52, 19 October 2016, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

First ship for a very long time; took on a bit too much with this one.   :-\ Next one better perhaps?

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Are you sure this is a 1/400 scale model.

The mouldings of the deck details look incredibly similar to those of the 1/600 scale model.

The masts and yards are different though.

Could it be that the company, Airfix I presume, scaled up the hull and decks for this model but redid the masts and yards?

Confused of Joppa.
My Ego forbids a signature.

paulr

:-bd =D> :-bd

Would a wash help bring out some of the detail on the deck :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 19 October 2016, 08:33:44 PM
Are you sure this is a 1/400 scale model.

The mouldings of the deck details look incredibly similar to those of the 1/600 scale model.

The masts and yards are different though.

Could it be that the company, Airfix I presume, scaled up the hull and decks for this model but redid the masts and yards?

Confused of Joppa.

I agree

Very nice though

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

Thanks for the comments.

Anyway for what it's worth, it's the Airfix starter set which I assumed to be 1/400 the same as the Mary Rose starter set.  My experience of the genre is all of 4 weeks so no idea what Airfix did or didn't do in the past. The masts are straight from the box but the yards are my own make as the kit sails/yards didn't fit after all the string was applied; all upper topsail yards were omitted.

The deck has had a light wash applied, I think that at this scale too much would make it look like a ploughed field IMHO.

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jimduncanuk

Techno

Very nice. Both SV52 and Jim !

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Sargasso Sea looks healthy!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

SV52

Thanks again guys.

Jim, that's an impressive display.  I doubt I'll do that many as I'm only after building a few wee boats.  I refuse to let myself get drawn into naval and aerial warfare to preserve my sanity ;)

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

toxicpixie

Surely a one to one Trafalgar is an easy, simple, quick side project. It's only taken Jim 40 years to get most of the way there, from that shot ;)

Good stuff, there's nothing so fun as simply messing around in boats!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

jimduncanuk

Quote from: toxicpixie on 20 October 2016, 10:52:35 AM

Surely a one to one Trafalgar is an easy, simple, quick side project. It's only taken Jim 40 years to get most of the way there, from that shot ;)

Sorry to disappoint you Toxic but a one to one Trafalgar would require sixty ships of the line, 27 British and 33 Franco-Spanish as well as a hell of a lotta space. I have a mere dozen to show for my sins.

I first came across models such as these in 1972 when a veteran wargamer called Slim Mumford from Bathgate put on large naval battles at the club but probably not more than a dozen or so models at any one time. That collection changed hands quite some time ago so I acquired my own fleet as can be seen in the above photographs.

I have many more unbuilt kits stashed away as well as discarded hulls and masts from others collections.

They will have to await their day or will perhaps be consigned to the bring and buy when my days are done.

toxicpixie

Well, you've a fifth of them there - you can do Trafalgar in full 2170-ish at those rates? Should we book a hall now :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Heedless Horseman

I loved the Airfix Shannon and Victory for a while...long ago. Cutting down the hull was a real pain...esp making a 3 decker into a '74. The REALLY useful thing was that...without rigging...you could 'dismast' a ship with ease.
Smaller scale metal models, although they can look fantastic,  loose the 'feel' for me as the ships still look undamaged and I didn't care for tokens or markers. Yeah, a bit 'toy gaming', but...was fun for a while. The pity was the Airfix ships were in different scales so I couldn't pit the 'Lydia' against the 'Natividad'...and lost interest. Think the battered wrecks are somewhere in the garage so may be refitted someday. (lol)...considering the cost of buying 'new'...wow!
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)