Tonight we play...

Started by petercooman, 15 October 2016, 10:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

"Neil thomas napoleonic wargaming" rules, adapted for ACW games.

Dragged out almost every acw model i have for this, to satisfy the need to push metal chaps around  ;D

No report, just wanted to share some piccies!

petercooman

Bit hard to spot on the pictures, but the battlefield is not flat, but has some nice hills.

Womble67

Nice looking table

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Good looking table :-bd =D> :-bd

You need more infantry ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Thanks!

Quote from: paulr on 16 October 2016, 12:21:08 AM
Good looking table :-bd =D> :-bd

You need more infantry ;) ;D

Well it's turn 7 now, and i have some stands available  ;D ;D ;D

There are 3 objectives, all located at the fordable areas of the river.
Number 1 is firmly in rebel hands

Number 2 has just been safeguarded with the union troops capturing the village

And it would seem, with only 1 turn left (game stops at 8 turns), that the 3rd crossing will be the one the rebels will have to go for!

Fun part is, i have a face down counter next to the objectives, one is 2 vp, one 3vp and the third is 5 vp. So a draw is still ossible if you only hold one ford!!!

petercooman

Right at the end of the game, the confederates rush into the river and free the ford with a determined assault (and a glorious result on the dicerolls!)

After checking the 'blind' victory locations, the one they just wrestled free appears to be the 5vp position! The union troops are still close, but as they outnumber them, they are in no position to assault it anyway!

To make it even more bitter, the federal troops misjudged the strategic value of the town, and appear to have taken the least valuable position, earning only 2 victory points, with the last three points being held by the rebels on the other flank

Victory to the confederates 8-2!!

paulr

;D ;D ;D

An interesting, if potentially frustrating, way to allocate VPs ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Norm

A very nice looking game. I have ther rather nicely presented NT Napoleonic book and am always surprised that there isn't more mention of it in the various forums. I would have thought those that bought One Hour Wargames and didn't like it would tend to gravitate to his period specific books.

Steve J

Great looking table and a nice idea re: the VPs. I have his 19thC wargaming book and I think they are a nice set of rules. I would like to get his Nappies book but the prices are way too high for my liking. Currently it is going for just over £30 on Amazon whilst his 19thC book at around £15 on E Bay.

Techno

That looks like huge fun.

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Well a bit of searching (page 3 of Google in fact) came up trumps with brand new copies from Waterstones webshop for £16.99 and free delivery to the store :).

Leman

good find Steve. I have used the C19th book a lot. The armies are such that you can play both large and small battles for a limited outlay. Most are really suited to the availability of Pendraken figures.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

petercooman

Quote from: paulr on 16 October 2016, 03:49:01 AM
An interesting, if potentially frustrating, way to allocate VPs ;)

Yes, but it also keeps the game on edge untill the end!

Quote from: Norm on 16 October 2016, 07:27:11 AM
A very nice looking game. I have ther rather nicely presented NT Napoleonic book and am always surprised that there isn't more mention of it in the various forums. I would have thought those that bought One Hour Wargames and didn't like it would tend to gravitate to his period specific books.

If you look around long enough you find a battle report here and there, but it's indeed slim pickings when you search for something on the web.

Quote from: Steve J on 16 October 2016, 08:27:35 AM
Great looking table and a nice idea re: the VPs. I have his 19thC wargaming book and I think they are a nice set of rules. I would like to get his Nappies book but the prices are way too high for my liking. Currently it is going for just over £30 on Amazon whilst his 19thC book at around £15 on E Bay.

I was lucky to get mine from someone over at the LEad adventure forum! I had been looking at buying one, but there were copies up to 55£ on ebay :o

petercooman

Quote from: Leman on 16 October 2016, 08:53:25 AM
good find Steve. I have used the C19th book a lot. The armies are such that you can play both large and small battles for a limited outlay. Most are really suited to the availability of Pendraken figures.

Indeed! His 'standard' armies are made up of 8 units, but this battle had 14 on each side ant it just went along very nicely!