SKELP 2016

Started by Ithoriel, 15 October 2016, 07:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Went up to Forfar from Edinburgh for this show, first time I'd been to it.

Travelled by coach and bus so with my over-60s bus pass it cost me the princely sum of 50p (booking fee for Megabus) there and back! Going there, a three hour trip door-to-door was a chance to both doze (6am is an early start for me these days) and to watch the sodden Scottish landscape emerge from, and be enveloped by, banks of mist.

My first ever visit to Forfar saw me spludging my way through puddles so ubiquitous that they were effectively one continuous centimetre deep lake :) Not seeing Forfar at it's best I suspect!

The show is small and was very quiet, though the traders I spoke to seemed to have had enough trade to make the visit worthwhile.

There are some photos on Photobucket here

http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/ithoriel/library/SKELP%202016

View of the hall, as a taster.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

Very interesting Ithoriel.

Stayed in Forfar when we were in the UK last year as alot of my kin come from up Angus way. 

Like the Katana sword rack sitting on one end of the table of the 'samurai" game - adds a nice period touch.

Wish we had half as many traders at our local convention here in Wellington  :'(

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

jimduncanuk

15 October 2016, 08:20:05 PM #2 Last Edit: 15 October 2016, 09:34:27 PM by jimduncanuk
Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 October 2016, 07:46:58 PM

Went up to Forfar from Edinburgh for this show, first time I'd been to it.

What a show virgin!

Travelled by coach and bus so with my over-60s bus pass it cost me the princely sum of 50p (booking fee for Megabus) there and back! Going there, a three hour trip door-to-door was a chance to both doze (6am is an early start for me these days) and to watch the sodden Scottish landscape emerge from, and be enveloped by, banks of mist.

I would have charged you a fiver for a share of the diesel so you saved a bit there.

My first ever visit to Forfar saw me spludging my way through puddles so ubiquitous that they were effectively one continuous centimetre deep lake :) Not seeing Forfar at it's best I suspect!

Nope, that is Forfar, enshrouded in a perpetual drizzle.

The show is small and was very quiet, though the traders I spoke to seemed to have had enough trade to make the visit worthwhile.

They are a happy bunch, give them a black pudding roll and a cup of tea and they'll come 500 miles.

I started to look at your picture gallery but it insisted I registered which I declined.

It let me in later on if I persisted a bit.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Ithoriel

Inspired by Jim's post I present my haul of goodies from SKELP.

1 copy of 4th edition Battletech rules from the Bring & Buy

1 set of Ainsty treasure markers, 3 Foundry Mountain Men, 1 set of Warbases Wild Boars from Colonel Bill's

2 Late War T34/76's, 2 KV=-2's, 2 Tiger I's, 5 assorted paints and a set of Russian Star transfers from Pendraken.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Another good haul Mike.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Leon

Good to see you Mike!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Roy

Nice posts  :-bd

I only wish Shildon show, day after Skelp, was as good  :'(

By the way, Stu and Scotty at Colonel Bills were absolutely shattered the next day, at Shildon. Heck of a job being a travelling wargames trader, I know I couldn't do it.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Ithoriel

They were probably worn out by being talked at by me! :)

I was resisting, with varying degrees of success, buying things I knew it would be some time before I painted so made several protracted visits to the stand!

Leon

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 17 October 2016, 11:13:01 AM
By the way, Stu and Scotty at Colonel Bills were absolutely shattered the next day, at Shildon. Heck of a job being a travelling wargames trader, I know I couldn't do it.

That's one of the reasons we don't do the Shildon show ourselves, it's just too much after the drive up/down to Forfar.  We go up on the Friday, which was just over 5 hours drive, then 2 hours to get set up at the venue, so not too bad.  Saturday we were at the show for 7 hours, then 2 hours to pack away, and another 5 hours to get home, so by the time we landed back in M'bro, the last thing we wanted to do was get up and do it all again on Sunday.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Roy

Completely agree with what you've said Leon. As well as what Jim Duncan said on the Shildon post. Travelling such large distances over that weekend is a heck of strain, and more likely to do more worse than good to the body.

I even offered to help Colonel Bills pack up, but acknowledged I'd be more hindrance than help since the two of them have a routine and so are faster as the pair.
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Wulf

Yeah, I watched some traders (including Pendraken) unpack & pack at Wappinshaw years ago, and there's severe danger of injury if you don't know the routine...

Scolty

Nice to see a photo of the back of my head!
Really enjoyed the Show - was helping out a pal on his Stand. Great to see Pendraken at the "smaller" shows - managed to pick up some figs and paint from Leon.
Only problem - the weather dissuaded me from going into town to stock up the bridies!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Scolty on 18 October 2016, 04:50:26 PM
Nice to see a photo of the back of my head!

I always try to get people's best side! :P ;) :)

Scolty

It has often been said that I have a face suitable for radio... ;) ;) ;)