Sikorsky S51 or Westland "Dragonfly"

Started by Sunray, 14 October 2016, 04:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

If the sculptor looks at the 195O's Dinky diecast it proves that a solid cast model is optically viable. (Possibly in resin with metal blades and wheels?)

This was the workhorse of the Korean War, and all those Very Late Aztecs  are going to need transport.

No such model exists in 1/150 or 1/144.

GrumpyOldMan

14 October 2016, 10:10:53 PM #1 Last Edit: 14 October 2016, 11:11:11 PM by GrumpyOldMan
Hello Sunray

From this post at Kampfgruppe http://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1389 it appears that Anigrand did make a Sikorsky but I cant find it in their catalogue now.

Can't find anything on Shapeways, you could always try contacting some 3d designers there.

Edit

Did find one at Shapeways, looks like it's about 6 quid plus postage:-

http://www.shapeways.com/product/ETQ48BP6K/1-144-sikorsky-r-5-h-5

Just be aware that the picture is a digital preview, the nylon sintered finish is a bit rough and granular. Maybe read up a bit on Shapeways Strong  & Flexible material. I'm ok with it but I'm a bit rough and granular myself :).

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Thanks Vic, or it might come from Pendraken ......some day soon....

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Just edited my previous post with a model available from Shapeways.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Sunray

Thanks Vic, that Shapeways model is £11.70 + postage.  A little rich for one chopper.  There were no air mobile style lifts to LZs during the Korean War.  The Royals (who else !) can claim that honour when 45 Commando pioneered the first air assault with Whirlwinds in Suez.

So we only really need choppers for replenish and supply ops.   Part of why I want a few with basic load/3 passengers - like the S51 - is just to emphasis the difference with WW2. With general air supremacy - apart from MiG Alley - the UN could use choppers for liaison,recon and supply as well as extradition of downed flyers.   

mart678

FierceKitty

Quote from: Sunray on 14 October 2016, 04:26:41 PM
If the sculptor looks at the 195O's Dinky diecast it proves that a solid cast model is optically viable. (Possibly in resin with metal blades and wheels?)

This was the workhorse of the Korean War, and all those Very Late Aztecs  are going to need transport.

No such model exists in 1/150 or 1/144.

They've got enough feathers to fly with.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

I should coco.

There's one in particular, I'm still figuring out how to do........with the back banner sandwiched between two large eagle's (?) wings...and still give Dave a chance of pressing/moulding it. X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X

Cheers - Phil

Sunray

Quote from: mart678 on 16 October 2016, 09:54:08 AM
How many do you want ?

This is a good question Martin.  As alluded to in another thread, I am conducting a personal revision of CWC in relation to Korea.   Choppers do not even get a mention in the current rules. 

However if there is a desire to take the wargame to 1953, then the H 19 (what we would recognise as the Westland Whirlwind) arrives in the theatre.
13 Sept 1953, US Marine Division  airlift their Recon element of 224 men and 17,000 lb supplies to forward position and secure vital ground.

Now this was a cold LZ, but it changes the WW2 genre of wargame as we know it.

In the earlier war, the smaller choppers make a vital difference in Command & Control and enhance the vital Fire Control for mortars and artillery  .  The Rhodesians were to make this an art form in the 1970s.  This capacity needs to be reflected in the rules. 

Looking at it for the perspective of a potential Pendraken model of a Korean war Chopper that will sell, then my choice would not be the S51, the H-13 or even the Bell .  I would change my request and plump for the H-19 Chickasaw - well suited to metal or resin - and a wide range of wargame applications . The Whirlwind was in British service until the Wessex replaced it (1961/62 ?)

fsn

Mark 1 Models do a number of Whirlwind and Wessex variants for about £13.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/manufacturer/mark-i-models/products?search_direction=asc&scale_id=957

I like the H19/Whirlwind, but think the S58/Wessex maybe has more usage.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Techno on 16 October 2016, 10:49:07 AM
I should coco.

There's one in particular, I'm still figuring out how to do........with the back banner sandwiched between two large eagle's (?) wings...and still give Dave a chance of pressing/moulding it. X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X X_X

Cheers - Phil

Can't you do the banner separately, to be glued on like hussar or Japanese back ornaments?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Sunray

Quote from: fsn on 16 October 2016, 01:32:51 PM
Mark 1 Models do a number of Whirlwind and Wessex variants for about £13.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/manufacturer/mark-i-models/products?search_direction=asc&scale_id=957

I like the H19/Whirlwind, but think the S58/Wessex maybe has more usage.

I am aware Mark 1 do the Wessex (I have two). Do they also produce the Westland Whirlwind ?

GrumpyOldMan

Hello

Miniwings also make a resin Sikorsky S-55 / H-19:-

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MINI039

It's about 13 quid plus postage though.

Shapeways has some in smaller scales but you could always ask the designer to scale it up for you (most of them are hobbyists as well). Rotors can always be replaced by transparent circles if they are too clunky. Having it done in strong and flexible plastic is the more economical option.

http://www.shapeways.com/product/H9Z966SAX/sikorsky-s-55-1-285-6mm?optionId=56027613

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Leon

Helicopters are generally higher cost / lower sales items, so aren't usually viable to produce.  We'd maybe consider it further down the line but we'd want all the armour done first.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Many thanks to Vic for his sourcing.

I totally agree Leon. Concentrate on the AFVs and the figures !!