Ramillies - play test for Battleground

Started by Shutuphippie, 11 October 2016, 10:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shutuphippie

A few pictures from our club game last week. A play test of the Ramillies game we are planning for Battlleground. Good game and trial run which highlighted some issues and tweaks we need to make.

Obviously another WSS bash, apologies for posting this period again, but we only currently collect WSS in 10mm. However, I have my eye on ECW as my next project if I can convince the other fellas (or at least one) at the club to give it a bash.

If you are at Battleground pop along and say hi. We will be the fellas playing WSS whilst  wearing Tricorns (not my idea!)

French on the left defending Ramillies (closest), offus (middle) and Autre Eglise (far left)

Ramillies

Autre Eglise

The new Pendraken hedges - superb and as good as the recently released walls

Confederate advance

View from Ramillies

Action commences

Things are hotting up

A whiff of grapeshot

The mass cavalry fight on the plains near Ramillies

Meanwhile on the Bourbon left wing.... lots of fighting around Autre Eglise as the Allies go in hard

A birds eye view of the French left

Due to an hour of chatting during setup and some relaxed dice rolling we had to call it a night just as the Confederate and Bourbon centres clashed near Offus.

We'll make a few tweaks and paint up the last few units and will have another trial game or 2 before the the day. With battleground being all day we should have plenty of time to finish the game...... even with all the chatting at shows 😀

Each infantry represented 2 battalions on the day. Whilst each cavalry base represented 3 to 4 cavalry squadrons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

fred.

No need to apologies for showing more WSS - its a great looking game with loads of stuff on the table, what's not to like.

Where are your roads from? I do like the look of them.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Shutuphippie

Quote from: fred. on 11 October 2016, 11:00:03 PM
No need to apologies for showing more WSS - its a great looking game with loads of stuff on the table, what's not to like.

Where are your roads from? I do like the look of them.

Fat frank roads purchased from eBay. He also does rivers which I have just orders

These are the 6mm/ 10mm roads

FierceKitty

12 October 2016, 02:07:56 AM #4 Last Edit: 12 October 2016, 02:14:21 AM by FierceKitty
Hanged if I can see any reason to apologise for such tasty eye-candy. Though I don't like the little marker chips, speaking aesthetically.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

DFlynSqrl

12 October 2016, 04:27:31 AM #5 Last Edit: 12 October 2016, 04:31:54 AM by DFlynSqrl
Absolutely lovely looking game.  I especially like how y'all based up your units.   :-bd

150mm x 50mm bases?

Techno

Splendid stuff, once again !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

Steve J

Superb looking game 8). What rules are you using?

fred.

Quote from: Shutuphippie on 11 October 2016, 11:43:22 PM
Fat frank roads purchased from eBay. He also does rivers which I have just orders

These are the 6mm/ 10mm roads

Thanks - I keep hearing good things about Fat Frank. I think it's time to invest in improving the look of my table a bit.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

cameronian

Apologise !! Damn it sir we salute you, cracking figures and terrain, splendid stuff, MORE PLEASE.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

cameronian

Quote from: cameronian on 12 October 2016, 07:53:10 AM
Apologies !! Damn it sir we salute you, cracking figures and terrain, splendid stuff, MORE PLEASE.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Shutuphippie

Quote from: Steve J on 12 October 2016, 06:55:07 AM
Superb looking game 8). What rules are you using?

Black powder. Works well for this period as long as each player has 2-3 divisions so if you fail a command roll you get another couple of attempts to move or do something

Subedai

Great visual of what a wargame should look like. Well done!

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

Bloody marvellous, AND looks like there's hope to play to an actual resolution in time available!

Very nice :)

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting