Worst army ever!

Started by FierceKitty, 06 October 2016, 05:57:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FierceKitty

We clearly need a corollary to a recent, similar post.

My starters:

a) Franco-Imperial, 1757. If you lose with 5:1 odds in your favour, and the enemy don't even need to use most of their army, you can't be doing much right.

b) 4th Crusade. An army whose logistics are so bad that they end up selling their swords to destroy the most important check on their actual enemy...dear, dear.

c) Mongols. Conquer half the world without raising a sweat, and do sweet Fanny Adams with their prize, so lose it all a few steps down the time line.

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Jim Ando

Hi
Hicks pasha's Egyptian army in the Sudan. Even Churchill said it was the worst army ever to March to war. Didn't stop me buying one from pendraken. And guess what they get slaughtered every time . Hey ho I was warned.
Jim

fsn

Neapolitans during the Napoleonic Wars.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

The Lancastrian army at Losecoat Field.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

skywalker

Any army I use in a game  ;D  ;D ;D ;D

Ithoriel

Publius Quinctilius Varus' Roman Army.

An army best suited to open fields ambushed in a forest, in column of march by it's own allies!

"To lose one legion may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose three looks like carelessness." :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 06 October 2016, 12:54:41 PM
Publius Quinctilius Varus' Roman Army.

An army best suited to open fields ambushed in a forest, in column of march by its own allies!

That's bad generalship, good army.

Roy

Women's Land Army.

They probably created more lives, during the time they were operational, than the amount they ended (if any?).

Long term that's good strategy, but in the short term it won't win you any battles.

Rimmer: "Aliens."

Lister: "Oh God, aliens... Your explanation for anything slightly peculiar is aliens, isn't it?

Rimmer: "Well, we didn't use it all, Lister. Who did?"

Lister: "Rimmer, aliens used our bog roll?"

Ithoriel

Quote from: FierceKitty on 06 October 2016, 01:07:38 PM
That's bad generalship, good army.

True of so, so many purportedly bad armies.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

'nutha thread there, for those wishing to inflate their posts.

FierceKitty

FierceKitty

DFlynSqrl

The Greater Sleepyshire Halfling Militia.  Most noted for almost making an appearance at Kreiller's Knob to repel the Orc Horde, except they stopped their march to have second breakfast.

Leman

06 October 2016, 05:23:01 PM #13 Last Edit: 06 October 2016, 05:24:34 PM by Leman
Do you think the Orcs know about second breakfast? Incidentally this has now become part of my daily ritual, around 10.30; toast and marmalade with coffee.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

KTravlos

My opinion in that is the Imperial Qinq Armies of the Sino-Japanese War of 1894-5. Both the modern Beiyang Army and the older Banner armies were smashed by the Japanese. While elements of the armies did not lack spirit (especially at the Battle of Pyonyang) they severly lacked discipline, humanity, training, weapons. I would not even blame the command, as the poor generals appointed by the Imperial Court were given ridiculous missions.  Viceroy Li correctly understood that his army was in no state to fight a war, and would need a couple of decades to be able to fight the Japanese on an even footing .Alas he was not listened to. It is also one of the few cases in the 19th century were an army did not win any engagement against its enemy.  (Serbians in the Serbo-Bulgarian War are another case. The Greeks in 1897 did win the Battle of Grimbovo in Epirus,so they escape the worse epithet, though they could give a run for the money to the Chinese).