How much is too much?

Started by fsn, 05 October 2016, 06:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Half a pint of the vile stuff! Oh, sorry, wrong thread.  :-[
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

jchaos79

Painting is a skill and as all the skills you could improve working on it. There is also part of natural innate talent.

But once you take the few basic techniques, in my opinion, is Patience and Time, slowly strokes, paint layer after layer, patiente, more patiente.... another layer... have a tea... another layer, slow strokes.

I do not have time and I want huuuuge armies to be painted as quick as possible.... so for me 10mm in my rush quick paint sytle works.

Leman

Ooh, the way you expressed that has made come over all funny.

d_Guy

Quote from: Leman on 06 October 2016, 09:32:02 PM
Ooh, the way you expressed that has made come over all funny.
Uh-Wot!?  :o
Sleep with clean hands ...

Leman

Read it in a Fenella Fielding voice. Oh hang on, you're an American so you've probably never heard of her. Anyone out there point to an American with a Fenella Fielding type voice?

Techno

:-\

I reckon she was almost a 'one-off'.
"Do you mind if I smoke ?"

Cheers - Phil

cameronian

Spend half the time on the figures and twice the time on the board, the ensemble effect will be more than gratifying.
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Well that's just made my afternoon.   ;D ;D ;D

d_Guy

A hottie in her prime! I thought you meant to type "comb-over" (which was puzzling) but, no, you meant "come over". Not aware of an American equivalent - Jim Backus maybe.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Orcs

I think I paint to a reasonable standard. (I get occasional positive comments.)  BUT I paint to get them looking good on the table as I am foremost a gamer

10mm

Figures get block painting and a wash. very occasionally a highlight
Vehicles get a block paint, wash and two highlights

15mm

Figures get more careful  block painting and a wash. and a highlight
Vehicles get a block paint, wash and two highlights

20mm

Figures get  careful  block painting and a wash. and a highlight
Vehicles get a block paint, wash and two highlights plus weathering

28mm

Figures get Careful block painting, basic shading and highlighting plus a wash

Faces in all scales get a wash of the appropriate colour to show the shape of eyes etc

I only paint eyes on big monsters

The  main thing to remember is a a good base hides a multitude of sins. 

I know this as I have some Orcs that are the same models as most of my army but painted by a really, really good painter. With multiple levels of shading and highlighting and super detailing   I have based them the same as the rest of my orcs and Sunjesters. at 2 feet you cannot tell whose are whose.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

RAwarrior

For me to much is when I get bored and don't finish units or it becomes a chore. Being new to the hobby this year I've noticed not only better results, as I become more experienced but it happens in half the time (mostly).

Leman

To much or not to much, that is the question. It's starting to get too much for me. FK, help!

FierceKitty

Spend some quality time away from your computer.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Ckudola

I think it's possible to go overboard. I have a friend who treats every model in his army like its a Golden Demon entry. Consequently he's been working on the same army for years and might get it done this year.

I put a high level of effort into my figs but I use every cheat and fast technique I can find. For example I tried doing a NMM thing for my dark elder jet bikes. I spent way to long layering up from dark gray to white. It looks good (but not amazing). I then saw that some guy recommended that you paint your blade with leadbelcher, wash in nuln oil and then dry brush silver for the NMM look. It took much, much less time and frankly it looks better.

I say cheat where you can, a fully painted army will always be more impressive then one really nicely painted fig.