15mm Anglo-Hanoverian 7YW

Started by Roy, 28 September 2016, 12:05:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

So what am I up to, in light of now being a member of a club? [Previously my involvement in clubs was back in the 90s and with GW games. Stu (Col. Bill) does play, himself, but only seldom and with the gaming friends he's known for years. He's been playing quite a few Napoleonic games of late, but the French keep beating him and its a bit of a sore subject, so best not mention Napoleonic gaming to him if you see him at a show  ;) ]

15mm Seven Years War, Anglo-Hanoverian army, that's what. John (another club member) has a large Freikorp15 French army, which he's rebased for Honours of War, and I've decided to collect an opposing force to allow the group and myself to use. [I'm also collecting 28mm Ancient Germans, but that's another story.]

I sent off for a trial order to Total System Scenics / QRF, who own the Freikorp15 range now, and received the small order from them the other day. Last night I painted a couple of test figures, to learn the paint colour order to 'assembly line paint' the Musketeer figures and generally see what I can do in the scale - as I've only previously dabbled in Peter Pig bits.

British musketeers belonging my interpretation of the 12th Foot. A Minden Regiment. I've gone with the black/grey gaiters post-1759 to aid a balance between colours - And when I paint the Hanover battalions they will be in white gaiters.

So, two musketeers down and ten more to paint - then 4 command and 4 grenadier company.

I've organised the paints I'll be using into lines based on order-of-use. 1st Layer line being what I'll use first, and then I'll progress to the 2nd Layer, where I paint the contrasting paint layer atop the darker 1st Layer colours.

Image 1: And it begins.

No idea how long it will take me to paint a 20 figure battalion - and make the flags - but I may as well blog about it, to help motivate me.

http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/crusades-club-game-15mm-7yw-army-project.html

Cheers.
Roy
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

toxicpixie

Looks good Jim!

I heartily endorse the use of cheap tester pots, although I do like Asdas. They've just dropped a lot of the range from them though, seemingly, so I'm gutted!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Techno

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

Very nice, but all the trim explains why I went 10mm.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

Thanks all

###

15mm 7YW British Unit Paint Up [#2]

I did a couple of hours more work on the [x10] 7YW 15mm British musketeers last night.

I should get the Layer 1 stage completed through the course of today, might possibly also get some of the Layer 2 paints applied. Now that I know what colours to use, and where to apply them, these ten figures are painting up faster (individually) than the two test figures.

Here's what these will look like at the end:

Cheers,
Roy
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Roy

Quote from: FierceKitty on 28 September 2016, 02:45:30 PM
15mm? Kill the heretic!

I know. They should be the 18mm Eureka 7YW figures Colonel Bills sells  ;D

Nobody is playing 10mm at the club yet. Though three of us do have Pendraken armies for various games.

Techno

Leman

you appear to be a Bonne Maman aficionado.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Roy

Quote from: Leman on 29 September 2016, 01:05:28 PM
you appear to be a Bonne Maman aficionado.

Yep, they make useful jam jars  :D

Can't stand those drippy bottle paint pots! I'm a brush dipper-in-er, not a squirt it onto a palette type.

Roy

Day 3 on painting the x10 Musketeers.
Should get them finished today, then start on the x4 Grenadiers.

http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/15mm-7yw-british-unit-paint-up-3.html

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 28 September 2016, 02:46:09 PM
Very nice, but all the trim explains why I went 10mm.

Me, too!* Great looking uniform but a b*gg*r to paint! Well done, Roy!

* so terrified of painting the trim, even sold off some 15mm Blue Moon SYW British rather than try to paint them!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Roy

Thank you

I can't say I've experienced any difficulty painting these (not boasting, or anything). I just set to them all and painted them in a methodical fashion, and I managed to get through them. The only areas that I actually needed to tidy up afterwards, after paint strayed over the edges, was when painting the white cross belts. Only thing I can say, is that my skill in hand-eye coordination has certainly improved, and that my hand's brush control is improving with each piece of work I manage to complete.
In 10 years time, all that acquired skill will probably have deteriorated with age, though  :'(

###

15mm 7YW British Unit Paint Up [#4]

12x Musketeers finished.
4x Grenadiers started on last night.

I've put all the photos in one place, and in consecutive order, on this blog post

http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/15mm-7yw-british-unit-paint-up-4.html

allowing viewers to view them in one sequence.

Cheers,
Roy

Roy

15mm 7YW British Unit Paint Up [#5]
Grenadiers and their caps.

The figures were mostly painted as shown with the Musketeers, see previous posts. The only exception being the headwear.

The images

Yes, spot the spelling error. My bad.

If you've been reading the blog comments in the previous posts, you may have seen some discussion as to how long it is taking me to paint these 15mm figures ... And how big a mess-up I made in estimating a time for each figure (good job I wasn't quoting an estimate of work!).

I reckon I spent around one hour per figure, with these x4 grenadiers.

Cheers,
Roy