LoA era rules -Partizan Lace Wars

Started by urbancohort, 25 September 2016, 01:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbancohort

Anyone ever used these? I have a copy with Scenario booklet 2 but never used them. I am a novice, despite being 'interested' for 35 years I have never played a land-based wargame! So, for the cognoscenti out there, worth investing in more scenario booklets or not?

Thanks

One should try everything in life, except for incest and folk-dancing....

Leman

TBH I've never been a fan of the Partizan family of rules - I find them a bit 1970s fiddly, i.e. they go into a lot of detail and thus produce a slow game. Then again many gamers love that type of detail - +1 for nice white gaiters, -1 no bayonet, -1 white lace on hat, +1 gold lace on hat, +2 had a substantial brekky etc. You could try Baroque which have been designed for the period 1550 - 1700. They are also sold by Partizan.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

urbancohort

Thanks, something to ponder on. My only experience to date is of modern 1/3000th and Napoleonic naval Wargames. I found them very slow for reasons you point out,(if pre 1970 then has Headset so -10, if post 1980 then also equipped with phalanx Gatling so +15 defence etc..). Looking for a reasonably fast game where challenge us tactics, not Mathematics, but is also reasonably realistic.

I will look up black powder rules.

oldblindjohn

Try Beneath the Lily Banner or Captain-General.
Outside of a dog a book is mans' best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

toxicpixie

I'd second Andy's comment on Baroque - I've only used them for ECW and 30YW but the lists for "Lace Wars" look like they'll give a nice flavourful game that's also simple to manage :)

We use Pike & Shotte previously and they were ok but requires too much tinkering for our tastes these days. We do like Maurice for the slightly later 1700+ ish sort of period though!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Leman

Some late 1690s action, using Baroque (28mm) at the Liverpool club.

d_Guy

Like the picture DP! Also a fan of Baroque (but haven't gone beyond 1647 yet).  If I understand right the foot shown would still be treated as a P&M unit but with no SM modifier (and obviously no pike advantage against horse)?

Incidently have just ordered Lace Wars to take a look at the system
Sleep with clean hands ...

Hwiccee

Did they improve the army lists in Baroque? The ones that were online were dire.

toxicpixie

It's rated cleaned up from the "freebie" trial version. Never got to grips with that but the "proper" rules seem really solid!

There's quite a few extra lists already on the official site/blog - might be worth you having a look, see if they peek your interest...
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

d_Guy

The army lists for Baroque are slowly being added and as Pixie said available on the D&P website. They are all still marked "Beta" so are in the (slow) process of addition and tuning. There are not many lists yet and the post 1660 are sparse. The lists for Montrose/Covenanter, I think, are pretty decent. This does not stop me modify them as is my want, however.  :)

Continue to really like the play mechanics.

urbancohort

Love those colour pictures of the 28mm figures. Very beautiful! Hope my efforts will be as good. Interesting discussion. I am detecting 'coolness' on Lace Wats but some really good stuff here. Thank you all for your generosity to s newbie, even if he joined in 2014!

fred.

I'm looking to use Baroque for Nine Years War, using Pendraken's splendid LoA figures.

The draft army lists on the Baroque forum, don't quite work for me, I think the quality assigned to the troops is a bit good. But the core troops for Baroque are pretty straightforward, so any changes are just small tweaks.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

At the risk on turning into a "Baroque rules thread" the lists are probably better seen within period than across period; just because something is Discipline A doesn't mean it's quite the same as a Discipline A unit fifty years or five hundred miles away. It's just the best drilled in the area of conflict covered.

Unless you're writing a very specific set covering a very specific period, I think you have to view all rules like that. Ancients is probably the worst (best?) example where we rather expect a set to cover pointy sticks & tin pants over anything up to a couple of millennia :D But the period Baroque covers is still pretty big - two centuries ish seeing some major development in military technology and tactics, driven by some serious social & economic change. On my limited use of them so far it looks like it handles them well :)

Problem with recommending rules is knowing what the customer actually wants - what sounds spot on for one might be terrible for another!

Leman

I fully agree with that final comment, Toxic, as I belong to a club where the 70s style, detailed megagame is still very popular. I left that sort of game behind in the late 80s, when my brain began to hurt after a session at the club. But it is still clearly something which floats many boats.

d_Guy

Agree also, Pixie. Of course I am about to fight some battles using War of the Roses-like armies pitted against Orcs with particle beam weapons - and yes I'm going to use Baroque with my own army lists!  :D
When you end up liking a particular hammer everything looks like a nail!