Rapid Fire in 6mm

Started by Nosher, 19 September 2016, 08:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nosher

anyone play Rapid Fire in 6mm?

Do you play with cms measurements or inches?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Subedai

I've got the original set but never actually thought about using them for 6mm...until now. A quick think about measurement would be that on my table of 1500 x 1000 I would work in cms.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Nosher

Yes, thinking the same..... years since I have played it and come back to it purely because I have fallen out of love with BKC :(
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Wouldn't play in any scale !
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

T13A

Hi Nosher

Hope you are well.

As a matter of interest what has caused the 'falling out of love with BKC'?

I do have Rapid Fire from years ago but they never felt right to me. Currently I do use BKC2 for my WWII games even though I have one or two issues with them.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Nosher

Hi Paul. I'm well thanks, hope you're keeping well too ;)

I couldn't get anyone to play BKC. Oddly enough BKC1 worked for me but I'm not sure I was entirely happy with all the tweaks in BKC2 :-\ Although I played the vast majority of my games with historical orbats the rules never seemed to handle morale all that well. I prefer rules were units test morale rather than the battlegroup as a whole if that makes sense?

Frank Carson

T13A

Yes, I do know what you mean about the morale rules. I have problems with counting 3"/81mm mortars as direct fire weapons rather than 'area' weapons. And to be honest I'm never comfortable with rules that claim to be "everything to all men", i.e. being able to represent  a unit/base as either a platoon (which I'm not sure ever works when trying to replicate WWII tactics) or section, without any change to the rules.

That said if you put those things aside, I think that BKC2 (I never played the original version) has some good mechanisms and gives a reasonable game.

I think 'Battlefront WWII' rules, where a unit is normally a company, are the best set for replicating what I at least think a WWII battle should be like, but then again there are issues with complexity/playability.

Oh, the eternal wargamers quest for realistic yet playable rules!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Quote from: paulr on 21 September 2016, 01:47:43 AM
Spearhead  :-h

Even worse than Rapid Fire - soooo many Biases.

IanS

toxicpixie

All of which are very easily solved, with very easy fixes.

Cracking set and the scenario generation system gives a really good battle that feels very in keeping with WW2 actions.
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

pierre the shy

21 September 2016, 11:40:29 AM #10 Last Edit: 21 September 2016, 11:44:07 AM by pierre the shy
I have not played Rapid Fire but Spearhead and Modern Spearhead are very good. They are my/our groups 6mm large scale action rules of choice.

Keith McNelly's SH/MSH scenario generation system is an outstanding piece of work too and greatly enhances the game.

Spent many hours playing SH and MSH since 2001 and have yet to be disappointed in the rules - though my own generalship could have been better in some lots of games the Germans/NATO are far from invincible in SH/MSH respectively  ;)    
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Womble67

Hi all
         I have played many a happy game of rapid fire. For 10mm I keep movement and ranges the same however for 6mm maybe use cm

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

vicmagpa1

Not familiar with rapid fire. BUT have played BKC2 many times. we had to put a limit on how many times you could move. had one player move 7 times! in one bound. ended up using Black Powder formula of a max of 3 moves unless you roll "1's:.

as far as game mechanics between scale of unit. it all depends on game mechanics of the game system. The system does work in any scale. may have to switch to cm's for 6 mm.
Weather a unit represents a fire team or squad or up to battalion. You simply add up the firepower to show the differences. :D

I hope this helps.

Vic
Ugly American retired.