Eureka Minis 15mm US Marines for Early WWII

Started by bigjackmac, 16 September 2016, 11:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

Switching gears, I haven't forgotten about WWII, and continue to add to that collection as well.  I've been working on US and Japanese troops for a campaign (actually, a series of campaigns) in the Pacific.  I had planned on beginning the 'war' at Guadalcanal in August 1942, but when I found myself over on the Eureka Miniatures website looking at Modern Australians I stumbled into something else: US Marines for early war.  They're actually titled "Wake Island," but that doesn't work for me as I plan on following a platoon of Gyrenes through the entire war, and many of the early war battles were battles of annihilation, all US troops being captured or killed.  So I'm not quite sure where I'll start, probably make up some scenario for the Philippines where Marines are involved on the Bataan Penninsula but end up being ordered out or otherwise escaping to live and fight another day.

In any case, that is for the future; for now, let's look at these magnificent little sculpts.

The whole force, 17 troops from several different packs.  I bought a pack of two leaders, two BAR men, a two-man M-1917 water-cooled machine gun, a pack of three Marines with Thompson submachine guns, and a pack of eight riflemen armed with the venerable '03 Springfield.  I painted them up in early war khaki, with sand leggings and load bearing gear, and dark green 'pie plate' helmets.  Did grassy bases for the jungle.

First men up is the leader pack.  I painted them up as an officer (left) and a senior NCO (right).  You can see a 'stache and rank insignia on the officer's helmet, and I tried to paint stripes on the NCOs sleeves.  To see a bunch more photos, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2016/09/eureka-minis-15mm-us-marines-for-early.html

So, there they are, my next latest force for 15mm skirmish gaming.  Dammit, I can't wait to get these guys on the table, I just don't have time to do all the stuff I want to do!!!  I'm sure this is the eternal lament of the wargamer, but it's killing me nonetheless.  I highly recommend these troops for some early war US action, they're absolutely fantastic.  Meanwhile, I need to get back to my Cuba Libre stuff in the Middle East, coming soon.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Nice one Jack :-bd =D> :-bd

Marines fought in Bataan, particularly at the Battle of the Points, intermixed with sailors (who had dyed their whites with coffee grounds)

The 4th Marines were on Corregidor

Most, if not all, of the '03 Springfields had been passed on to the Philippines Army and the US troops, including the Philippines Scouts, were using the M1 Garand

I would love to do the early battles in the Philippines in 10mm but I need the early war US figures...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

bigjackmac

Lemmey - thanks and absolutely!

Paul - Thanks man.  Yeah, there were some ragtag comm, service, anti-aircraft, and beach defense arty units in Bataan, but not a lot of action outside The Points, and even that wasn't particularly high intensity.

I've never heard anything about Marines having Garands in the Philippines; while regular US Army units had them (and I thought I'd read some of the Philippine Scouts units had them), the Marines were still carrying Springfields on Guadalcanal and up the Solomons into Bougainville, where 3rd Marine Division did their swap out.  2nd MarDiv got them not long before Tarawa, and 1st Marine Division got them while R&Ring and training in Australia and New Zealand, prior to Cape Glocester on New Britain.

Hey, I pushed Mr Phil for early war Marines a long time ago! ;)

V/R,
Jack

paulr

I'm not sure on the Marines and M1s I must do some more digging when I get a chance. It was a complicated situation  ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

You don't have time to do all you want to do ?

You seem to do enough for at least ten people.
I'm beginning to wonder if bigjackmac is really a single 'entity', or a group of gamers under one name.  ;)

Great stuff again, Jack.

Cheers - Phil

bigjackmac

Paul - certainly a mess, with all kinds of logistical issues.

And Phil's on to me, I've got wargaming elves ;)

V/R,
Jack