WSS Game

Started by Shutuphippie, 15 September 2016, 06:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shutuphippie

A really fun club game we played last night.

After 2 hours of serious dice rolling plus lots of banter it finished up a minor Bourbon Victory after the Allies (attacking) failed to break the centre of the French line.  

There was some really brutal action on both flanks. On the French left the village and fortifications changed hands a number of times before the Irish Wild Geese finally pushed the Allies out of the village having themselves lost it earlier in the game.

On the French right the outnumbered French and Bavarian cavalry just about fought the Allies to a stand still. With both divisions being broken by the final turn.

It was a shame we ran out of time as another couple of turns may have seen things turn out differently in the centre as both main bodies only came into contact on the last couple of turns of the game.

We've booked a table at Pendraken's Battleground show in November and will be doing a WSS game on the day so pop over if you are there and say hi

French deployed on the hills and in the villages on left of the first image below. Allies deployed on the right of the image and had to cross the river before advancing on the French line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

oldblindjohn

What rules did you use?
Outside of a dog a book is mans' best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

fred.

Great looking armies - loads and loads of troops!!

Excellent stuff.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

mollinary

Looks fabulous, and those deepcut designs mats really do the business. Congratulations"

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

ronan

Steve J

Lovely looking figures, terrain and game 8)

paulr

Nice looking game :-bd =D> :-bd

Given the French deployment the river appears to have done little except delay the Allies. Not having it might have got the main bodies into action a turn or two earlier. But for all I know the French might have had the option of contesting the crossing :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Shutuphippie

Quote from: oldblindjohn on 15 September 2016, 07:28:57 PM
What rules did you use?

We use black powder rules which work quite well for this period.

Shutuphippie

Quote from: mollinary on 15 September 2016, 08:03:21 PM
Looks fabulous, and those deepcut designs mats really do the business. Congratulations"

Mollinary

The deep cut mats are superb and really do enhance the look of a game over the standard green games workshop ones we use to use

We have the normal mats but a chap at our club has just got the mouse mat version which are slightly better as they don't crumple or move at all

Shutuphippie

Quote from: paulr on 15 September 2016, 08:57:08 PM
Nice looking game :-bd =D> :-bd

Given the French deployment the river appears to have done little except delay the Allies. Not having it might have got the main bodies into action a turn or two earlier. But for all I know the French might have had the option of contesting the crossing :-\

The game was a variant on the Blenheim scenario n the last argument of kings book. We doubled the forces on both sides though as we have a fair bit of Stuff 😀

The French centre played a very coy game and waited for the Allies to attack

Shutuphippie

Quote from: fred. on 15 September 2016, 07:58:17 PMGreat looking armies - loads and loads of troops!!

Excellent stuff.

We do have a fair bit of stuff 😀 we love the pendraken figures and they are very easy to paint for this period.

5 of us collect for this period which helps as well. I think we now have about 40 battalions per side, around 25 cavalry regiments plus assorted guns etc. We are still collecting as well 😀

As we play black powder we try to ensure each player has 2-3 divisions so if you fail your command move with one you at least get a chance to move something else

Last Hussar

There appears to be a female in the officers mess.  Or is that Gerald, the rum fellow who spent too long in the sun in The Sudan?
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

Quote from: Last Hussar on 15 September 2016, 11:08:57 PM
There appears to be a female in the officers mess.  Or is that Gerald, the rum fellow who spent too long in the sun in The Sudan?

Is that considered unusual in this day and age?

Roughly a third of my current gaming companions/ opponents are female.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sandinista

That looks great, I like big games  :D

Cheers
Ian

FierceKitty

That looks like what I'd call a wargame. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.