DFlynSqrls Warband Progress

Started by DFlynSqrl, 11 September 2016, 11:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 02 December 2016, 12:30:11 AM
Wrapped up two units of Dwarf warriors.

Very nicely done. Like those a lot!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

toxicpixie

Quote from: Ithoriel on 02 December 2016, 12:41:43 AM
Very nicely done. Like those a lot!

Seconded!

Very cool - they really pop out, very full of aggro and piss and vinegar :D

Guess they all had their Ready Brek and Irn Bru this morning :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

OldenBUA

31 January 2017, 01:04:59 PM #32 Last Edit: 31 January 2017, 01:10:02 PM by OldenBUA
Because this is where they belong:
Since my painting diary died a painful death by apostrophe (the "hacking" event of 2016"), I never got around to posting up my last unit of Dwarf Warriors.  I did want to make a group shot to post though so here's some pictures of the starter Dwarf pack for Warband.  I did toss in a few extra figures like some pipers. wizards, and stuff.  Kudos to my lovely wife for help with the photography.

That's 3 stands of warriors, a ranged unit, artillery, cavalry, a magic user unit and the leader.

The "family" shot.

Just the Leader, magic user, artillery and cavalry units...

And the 3 units of warriors and a mixed range unit (blunderbusses, crossbows and bows... because Dwarves don't mess around!).

There's a discussion on another thread about NMM (non-metalic metals).  I used a very "basic" version on these little guys.  Just 3 shades of gray.  I think it gives a little pop to the metal bits but isn't exhaustive to paint.

These are really lovely figures and a pure joy to paint.

Cheers!
Rod
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

d_Guy

Finally had a chance to look through your pictures - wonderful. Your style for fantasy figures is excellent. It has been mentioned that they are very crisp, bright and wonderfully detailed - I'll second that also. It sort of reminds me of a graphic novel - keep it up!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

DFlynSqrl

Thanks for inserting these OldenBUA!

Quote from: d_Guy on 31 January 2017, 03:11:33 PM
Finally had a chance to look through your pictures - wonderful. Your style for fantasy figures is excellent. It has been mentioned that they are very crisp, bright and wonderfully detailed - I'll second that also. It sort of reminds me of a graphic novel - keep it up!

Thank you.  Very kind.  At table-top distance they really don't turn out that much brighter, but it does kind of accent some of the features.  An angry mob of noses and beards!

DFlynSqrl

And now for the start of my Undead army.  First up some Skeletal Cavalry.

I'd actually planned to assemble the catapults first, but can't seem to wrap my head around putting them together.  Even when staring at the pictures from the website.  I guess I'm just being incredibly dense this week.  :-[

Thanks for all the kind comments!

Rod

Techno

DFlynSqrl

Progress continues on the Undead army...

So here's a shot of the three new stands together.  We have a skeletal crossbow unit, a necromancer unit, and the leader unit.  One thing that came about with doing these units is that I decided on a army color scheme.  With my Dwarves I had chosen Red & Blue.  Deciding to give my units a sense of uniformity I went with Purple and Yellow.

The Undead Army box only comes with 4 figures for the General unit (or at least that's how I interpreted the packaging).  That seemed like a rather large base for just 4 minis so I added a couple of ghouls and vampires I had ordered separately.

The same thing goes for the Necromancers.  There were just 4 in the package and the spooky monolith.  I wanted to make it look like these guys meant business.  So I had also ordered some spirit figures.  I added 6 to this base and I think it makes these guys look like a unit to be wary of just rushing into for a fight.

The last unit is my ranged unit.  I went with all crossbows, saving the longbows for a potential later unit to build.  I decided that all my skeletal units would be accompanied by a vampire/necromancer.  You never know when those skellies will start falling apart!  It's like a team mechanic repairing or replacing parts as needed!  "Nobby 213 just blew a femur.  Let's put the good bones in the scrap wagon and I'll build a new one."

fred.

Cool. They look really good.

Adding figures to the command and wizard stands is a good idea

Ps if you don't get many replies it is down to the apostrophe bug in the thread title.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

DFlynSqrl

Thanks Fred!

Quote from: fred. on 14 February 2017, 07:30:31 PM
Ps if you don't get many replies it is down to the apostrophe bug in the thread title.

Yeah, I remove it when I make additional posts now.  But I can't find a way to edit my initial post to change the thread title.

lowlylowlycook

14 February 2017, 08:01:24 PM #40 Last Edit: 14 February 2017, 08:03:50 PM by lowlylowlycook
Awesome figs.  They really stand out.

In fact I 'm sure I posted something along those lines before but maybe the hackers got in the way.  We'll see how this goes.

Only thing I might say is that I'm not sure the off white bricks make the best background for the skellies.   Not that I should be criticizing someone else's photography.

[edit]  Apparently putting a forward slash in front of the apostrophe works but you have to put it in again when you edit. 

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I added extra figures to my bases too. Good looking units there!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

DFlynSqrl

Thanks guys!

Quote from: lowlylowlycook on 14 February 2017, 08:01:24 PM
Only thing I might say is that I'm not sure the off white bricks make the best background for the skellies.   Not that I should be criticizing someone else's photography.

Yeah, they came out a bit dark.  This is mostly due to me being lazy and not wanting to setup the lightbox.  I tried to compensate by playing with light balance on the camera.  :)

Leon

Quote from: DFlynSqrl on 14 February 2017, 07:49:55 PM
Yeah, I remove it when I make additional posts now.  But I can't find a way to edit my initial post to change the thread title.

I've knocked the apostrophe out of the title now so future replies should work fine.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Techno

Really good stuff !  8)

Cheers - Phil