The mystery of the unknown figure

Started by Sunray, 01 October 2010, 10:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Have you ever scanned the Pendraken range ....saw the description of a code/figure you were interested in...but never purchased as you were unsure of what the casting really looked like? Has he a pack? Is he in a greatcoat? Or...see thread on 14th Army...does he wear shorts and have his slouch hat turned up ? You ask on the forum...but nobody has ever seen one!

Do you have a particular Pendragen code that you really want revealed ?  Lets hear it for the unknown figures.

Sunray out

Megamatman

Hi Sunray,

Thought I'd point you in the direction of this thread in case you hadn't seen it  8):
http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1337.0

Matt
Megamatman

Sunray

Yes, thank you I was aware of it and indeed had trawled it in vain for  20th century codes.  My thread is a simple piece of market research stimulated over the query in the 14th Army thread.   

If we spark a response that yields a reference source like the other periods enjoy, I will be well pleased.   It will compliment nicely the achive that Fred has created for British AFVs. 

And ..its nice to know the codes that interest gamers...that they might order if they had more info.

Leon

I'm mulling over an idea that could benefit everyone, but I'll have a chat with Dave about it first.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Aart Brouwer

05 October 2010, 12:13:41 PM #4 Last Edit: 05 October 2010, 12:15:50 PM by Aart Brouwer
Quote from: Sunray on 01 October 2010, 10:40:13 PM
Have you ever scanned the Pendraken range [...] but never purchased as you were unsure of what the casting really looked like?

I have. But the veil of obscurity over certain ranges is being gradually lifted. Pendraken are putting up more and more pics in their catalogue and Flickr account. Besides, in case of persistent doubt I have asked for pics in the photo section of the forum and Leon or Megamatman have always obliged. So yes, it would be helpful if we had pictures of all models, but I have no serious complaints and am perfectly wiling to wait for them to one day come up with a solution that is feasible and affordable for the team.

Cheers,
Aart
Sadly no longer with us - RIP (1958-2013)

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

lentulus

Quote from: Sunray on 01 October 2010, 10:40:13 PM
..but never purchased as you were unsure of what the casting really looked like?

Nope, I've always spent a few bucks on samples and decided from there.  I like having pictures, but I also remember ordering minis from all sorts of companies based on vague descriptions in the back of gaming magazines in the 70s

Shedman

Talking of mystery figures - http://www.pendraken.co.uk/CB8-p3557/ - I know that the combatants wore what they could get during the Crimean winter but I'm not comvinced

Alan

Leon

Quote from: Shedman on 05 October 2010, 04:15:57 PM
Talking of mystery figures - http://www.pendraken.co.uk/CB8-p3557/ - I know that the combatants wore what they could get during the Crimean winter but I'm not comvinced

Haha, I'm not quite sure how that's got in there!
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: lentulus on 05 October 2010, 01:11:30 PM
I like having pictures, but I also remember ordering minis from all sorts of companies based on vague descriptions in the back of gaming magazines in the 70s

Gaming magazines? Oh you were lucky to have those. We didn't have gaming magazines. All we had was numbers scribbled on the corner of a wet newspaper, was all we had. Still, we were happy as could be, eh?  :P

Cheers,
Aart

"No, I do not have Orcs, Riders of Rohan, Dark Elves, Skaven, Kroot Mercenaries Battle Tech, HeroClix, Gangs of Mega-City One or many-horned f****** genetic-mechanoid arse-faced pigmen from the Purple Pustule of Tharg T bloody M." (Harry Pearson, Achtung Schweinehund!)

Sunray

yeah...the bad old days/ I would stress this thread is no criticism of the Pendragen operation. Where would 10mm wargaming be without this company ?  Its was intended as a llight hearted bit of research to identify the unknown figures that spark our curiosity.  iF a certain figure gets say 5 votes...it might be worth an image.  And it might even spark a sharing of images esp. the 19th = 20th century ranges .  I know I am ordering a BW 34 naval 6" gun on the basis of the image of carlos Briz's handiwork.
What a craftsman. " Boy...they look lovely - but can they fight?" i

My mysterious range is the Pacific War of the late 19th century.  I know of no other company or scale that casts this range.
Does anyone out there game this obscure conflict ?   In terms of uniforms it looks like a latin version of thr Franco Prussiion ...with naval actions as  a bonus. Little gunboats like the Tsingtao .Could be a lot of fun for a gamer with a shedful of latin American buildings !

lentulus

Quote from: Aart Brouwer on 05 October 2010, 07:11:58 PM
All we had was numbers scribbled on the corner of a wet newspaper, was all we had.

Note on wet newsprint?  We had to make the figures out of wet newsprint *and* burn them after the game to try to warm up the hovel.

Aart Brouwer

Quote from: lentulus on 06 October 2010, 09:48:39 PM
Note on wet newsprint?  We had to make the figures out of wet newsprint *and* burn them after the game to try to warm up the hovel.

:D =D>

lentulus

Actually, for a long time the group I played with (quite seriously) used old cigarette packets for terrain.  It was awfully ugly, but it was nice for assembling complex hill shapes in a hurry.  I have been tempted to do something with low rectangular blocks of wood ever since, but I have never had time and a table saw to try it.

nikharwood

Sunray

Thanks Nik.  As always your 'int' is spot on .You get my vote for any G2 job.

Sunray out