Balloons in the American Civil War.

Started by Westmarcher, 06 September 2016, 12:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

This may be of interest to those looking for something different to grace their late 18th Century battlefields. Last year I made an unscheduled (and all too brief) visit to the Gaines Mill battlefield in Virginia. Whilst there, I discovered that, at one point, balloons from both sides were in the air - probably the first time in history that this had ever happened. This and 'an observation' of mine on another thread prompted me to look further into this topic and this is what I found.

http://www.civilwar.org/education/history/civil-war-ballooning/civil-war-ballooning.html

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

ACW - 18th Cen ?????

Although I think Nappy had a balloon unit for a short time.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Leman

I set up a 6mm ACW game of Seven Pines which included a Union balloon.

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Interesting article. Thanks Westie!

@Leman - great looking balloon model. I like that you animated it by having it react to a breeze out of the southwest.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Westmarcher

06 September 2016, 04:43:06 PM #4 Last Edit: 06 September 2016, 04:47:30 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: ianrs54 on 06 September 2016, 01:49:26 PM
ACW - 18th Cen ?????

Although I think Nappy had a balloon unit for a short time.

Oops! Meant to say Late 19th Century!

I could have tried to bluff it (article starts off with Late 18th Century reference to French Revolutionary War Balloons) but, hands up, elementary error on my part.     :-[

Great photo btw, Leman.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ithoriel

La Compagnie D'Aérostiers (1794-1802) was formed by the Committee of Public Safety of the French Republic.

Initially well regarded by the generals they served under they suffered by getting tangled up in other people's disasters!

The First Company was sent to Egypt with Napoleon's expedition but failed to unload it's balloon which was therefore destroyed by the Royal Navy. They served without a balloon until their return to France in 1802.

By 1802 Second Company had already been captured by the Austrians, imprisoned, exchanged, reformed, dismissed as useless by their commanding general and disbanded in 1799.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

When I visited the Austrian Army Museum in Vienna some years ago, they had a captured French Balloon from the Revolutionary Wars on display. Presumably it is still there as it is still included in the following link.

http://www.panaustria.com/vt/110106/index.html

Slightly tricky to navigate using the virtual camera view. After clicking on the link, click on "Karte" in the top left corner of the screen. Then go to "1. Stock" (1st Floor) and click on the right hand circle in the "Franzosenkreige, Revolution 1848" room. When the camera moves round, you'll see the balloon and basket lurking in the background. The camera can also be manually moved. Good museum. Exhibits from 30 Years War up to the 20th Century. Located in an outlying district of the city but well worth the effort to visit it.

fsn

06 September 2016, 07:46:39 PM #7 Last Edit: 06 September 2016, 07:49:27 PM by fsn
OK, maybe I've misread your instructions, but I've failed the aeronautical "Where's Wally?"

Looks like a nice museum, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of visitors.

Do you spend any time in this country?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Quote from: d_Guy on 06 September 2016, 04:07:27 PM
Interesting article. Thanks Westie!

@Leman - great looking balloon model. I like that you animated it by having it react to a breeze out of the southwest.
I think the fact that it is a metal model helps with the illusion of the breeze.

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 06 September 2016, 07:46:39 PM
OK, maybe I've misread your instructions, but I've failed the aeronautical "Where's Wally?"

When you run the cursor over the correct circle, the words,"Franzosenkreige, Revolution 1848 (1)" appear and when the room/hall appears on screen move the camera to the right (using the arrows at the bottom of the screen) past the bust. The balloon basket and a 'pretend' balloon can then be seen in the gap between the 3 cannon tubes and the 3 small portraits. I think it may only be the basket that is original (I can't remember - it wasn't yesterday). I'm not so sure about the balloon itself (e.g., if still intact, it may be too fragile to display?). For a better idea of what the basket and balloon look like, refer to this link (jeez, why didn't I find that first?).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Museum_of_Military_History,_Vienna#/media/File:HGM_Kriegsballon_Würzburg_1796.jpg

Leman

when I click on either of those all I get is a black screen,

Westmarcher

So you do.   

...... do you think we should wait for daylight?   :-\

[or try this link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Aerostatic_Corps - the captured balloon, L'Intrepide, is in the last pic]

paulr

Nice balloon Leman :-bd =D> :-bd =D>

Westmarcher, perhaps wait until the museum is open & they have turned the lights on ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: Westmarcher on 06 September 2016, 04:43:06 PM
Oops! Meant to say Late 19th Century!

I could have tried to bluff it (article starts off with Late 18th Century reference to French Revolutionary War Balloons) but, hands up, elementary error on my part.     :-[

Great photo btw, Leman.

Respect for being ready to 'fess up. :)
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Oh. That's rather disappointing really, isn't it?  :(

It's just a big grey bag with a picnic hamper hung underneath it.

Must confess I was looking for something a bit more ... colourfiul.

Oh well.

Another of life's little blows.  :(

:P
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!