New club in Tunstall, nr Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Started by Bodvoc, 26 August 2016, 04:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

QuoteMeanwhile most of us then went onto one of the players houses

Me being not part of the "most of us". I went home, to get some much needed sleep.  (:| I-)

Church Hall across the road from me (where one of my old clubs used to hang out, when it was cheap to hire the place) costs £7.50 an hour - hiring the use of their tables costs extra - a £50 deposit needs to be paid in advance of all bookings, to be returned once the hall is inspected after use and all is found acceptable - two people have to be on-site at all times to act as Fire Wardens and ensure 'elf and safety - Money being paid in cheque to the Diocese of Ripon.

I don't think we'll be using the Church Hall
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Roy

Link to the blog post concerning last nights club meet

http://nevermindthejankers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12/club-night-ancients-tts-saga.html

Bodvoc and myself (+James) playing 6mm To the Strongest! (using Bodvoc's lovely painted figs and terrain)

John and Pete playing SAGA (notice John in the picture getting out a fiver? he isn't trying to bribe Pete into letting him win, I promise you  ;) )
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Bodvoc

We had a good close game Roy, another fun games night.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Roy

Faustus Furius 28mm Chariot Racing

There's an all-dayer club meet on Friday, and I'm hoping to put on a game of Faustus Furius Chariot Racing (with a little aid from another gamer, who's providing a few more chariots).

So I've been working on what I do have for the game, clearing the painting table before 2017 arrives. All that's left to do with these is varnish - and paint on a Finish Line on the board (haven't decided how best to do this yet).

Chariot crews are Colonel Bills (conversions). Chariots are 4Ground - bought from Colonel Bills. Horses are Colonel Bills. Civilians are a mix of Crusader Miniatures and Foundry.

Well done those of you who've spotted that they're driving on the wrong side of the road - They're meant to be going anti-clockwise!

Not sure what detail work to add to the board - apart from a finishing line and, separate, start line - as the whole thing is very much a 'basic' layout to aid transport and group gaming. The board will comfortably fit 6 - 8 chariots all at once.

Dirty tricks: Oil Spills and Caltrops, both cause chariots passing through them to spin out / lose control. Amphora are from Baueda. There's also the chance to incite the Mob to 'pitch invade', or, should a player roll particularly badly, the Mob could just invade anyway!

Caltrops are home-made, using Greenstuff and florist wire (formers for the vertical spikes).

Measurement sticks and Turn templates (ignore the board they're laid upon, please).

Long / Medium / Short measurements, 0 - 45 degree template, and 46 - 90 degree template.

All that's left to do now for Friday is finish basing some Ancient Germans (belonging Impetus / To the Strongest!), and then varnish everything.

Cheers,
Roy

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Looks great fun.  :)

Just as a matter of interest.....Would spilled oil on the track have much effect ?
I'd always assumed (probably incorrectly, as per usual) that the chariot race tracks were basically sand.....Wouldn't the oil simply soak into it ?

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

looks great, sounds like a good fun day coming up on Friday.

Quote from: Techno on 28 December 2016, 05:13:12 PM
Just as a matter of interest.....Would spilled oil on the track have much effect ?
I'd always assumed (probably incorrectly, as per usual) that the chariot race tracks were basically sand.....Wouldn't the oil simply soak into it ?

I suspect its more Hollywood, than historical!
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Bodvoc

Looks great Roy, I am looking forward to having a go.

Roy

Quote from: Techno on 28 December 2016, 05:13:12 PM

As far as I know it was sand / that type of track surface. My fault really, I should have mentioned what Fred has done, below.

Quote from: fred. on 28 December 2016, 05:52:57 PM
I suspect its more Hollywood, than historical!

Yes, the rules are very much non-historical. Or, probably, they're condensing hundreds of years of rare occurrences into featuring in every race, and allowing for scythed chariots / archery / Roman Scorpion bolt thrower chariots. It can be played historically, or as an absolute lark, depending upon the crowd / seriousness of those involved / level of drunkenness.

I just wanted an easy game that can be played as a laugh - club mates backstabbing and forgetting the fact that the game is meant to be a race as they simply ram into each other.

Quote from: fred. on 28 December 2016, 05:52:57 PM
sounds like a good fun day coming up on Friday.

Hope so. Got at least two chaps coming over for the day. One of them bringing his Cowboy shoot-out game that he normally tours the shows with.

Westmarcher

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 28 December 2016, 07:11:24 PM
I just wanted an easy game that can be played as a laugh - club mates backstabbing and forgetting the fact that the game is meant to be a race as they simply ram into each other.

Like Phil, I too, wondered how caltrops could give you the skids  :-\ .   Anyhoo, as caltrops are designed to hobble a horse, how about this  for a rule:- When a chariot runs over a caltrop marker, first dice to see if it has any effect. If it does, the chariot has to make a 'pit-stop' to get the caltrop removed from the horse's hoof ... except ... the 'pit-stop' has to be in the middle of the track and the 'pit-stop' crew have got to run out onto the track with all its attendant running over type risks - and get back again safely - to carry out the 'repair.' (I'm sure you will be able to make up the appropriate move rates and dicing rules, etc.)   ;D   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

We played a gladiator themed game like this at the Shrewsbury club in the late 80s or early 90s, rules were you had to bring a gladiator to take part. The game was last thing so you had to hand in your gladiator early so his rules could be 'written'!
My mate Dean bought a 28mm Bloodbowl ogre that I still have, with an I ♥️ mum tattoo and two drilled out hand for a plastic spear and sword. He was a brute!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Bodvoc

Quoterules were you had to bring a gladiator to take part

Now that is a good idea for the next game :)

Roy

Rules being used are these (on Friday at least)

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/188101/Faustus-Furius

But I've already started thinking up changes / house rules / amendments to them. Next job (don't know when) will be to buy / convert some more chariots. Currently got my eye on some dromedaries to have a go at making a camel chariot.

Roy

28mm Ancient Germans
Following on from yesterday's Ancient Chariot Racing post (clearing the painting desk / preparing for Friday's all-day club game), here's the Ancient Germans that I mentioned.

Based up on 60mm (frontage) bases. With 50mm (depth) for the Warrior bases and 30mm (depth) for the Light Infantry bases.

They'll see use as either the Germanic Teutons or the Cimbri peoples in games, be it Basic Impetus or To the Strongest! Obviously there's not enough painted yet for a full army - for TtS! the photos show x1 Warrior unit (deep)*, 3x Hero, 2x Light Infantry unit (javelin), 1x Camp / for Basic Impetus the photo'd items translate to x3 Warbands (FL) and 3x Javelinmen (S).

*we use 180mm (frontage) units in our club's games

They're going to see use tomorrow in a game of Impetus, as a club member has entered into the Impetus competition at the York show 2017.

Cheers,
Roy