New club in Tunstall, nr Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Started by Bodvoc, 26 August 2016, 04:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

Roy, I am surprised we didn't cause his camera irreparable damage  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Roy

Quote from: Bodvoc on 08 September 2016, 12:11:49 PM
the ancients will actually be 6mm Greeks and Persians using Hail Caesar Rules.

Yep, my mistake. When I left on the last meeting it was all still being confirmed. I'll have to stay till lock up this time, then I'll know.

Quote from: skywalker on 08 September 2016, 12:28:24 PM
Roy, I am surprised we didn't cause his camera irreparable damage  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Joe (Zabadak) says that your game was his favourite on the day - shame there wasn't a public vote for best game.

princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

skywalker

Roy

Quote from: skywalker on 08 September 2016, 02:29:38 PM
Nice of him to say so. Please pass on my thanks :D :D :D :D

I will do.

###

Club Night #1 (26th August 2016)

Attendance: 6
Games: 1
* War of the Roses in 6mm (multiplayer, Hail Caesar)
Yorkists to the Left of the photos, Lancastrians to the Right

The Yorkist Left begins to advance forward

The Yorkist Centre and Right

The Lancastrians await their first turn

The Yorkist Left smashes into melee, while the Centre comes under volleys of arrow fire from their Lancastrian counter-parts

The Yorkist Left is beyond their enemy's front lines, and having succeeded in melee they're ready to attempt a turning of the Lancastrian army's flank

The Yorkist Right, secure in the knowledge that the Centre units will act to secure their flank, is about to push forward to meet their enemy in melee

Two shots of the (nearest to camera) end of the battlefield - Yorkists closest to camera

And they're in! Pushing back the extreme flank of the Lancastrian army, the Yorkists follow them up.

Elsewhere, now the Yorkist Left has control of their end of the battlefield, the Yorkist Centre surges forward and forces the Lancastrians standing against them to flee from the field - Leaving the way open to sack the Lancastrian baggage camp ... If only I'd not failed my command roll and had been able to move my troops!

The End. The Yorkists control the centre of the field. Only token Lancastrian resistance is to be had on the Yorkist's left flank. And now the Yorkist Right has encircled the last enemy units on their side of the battlefield, swiftly causing them to rout. Victory to the Yorkists.

##It needs to be said that my role of (successful) command of the Yorkist Centre was more down to good luck than great generalship. Getting those poor dice rolls out of the way early on always helps, when it came to melee my dice rolling was good.
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

fred.

That looks proper.

Nothing like small scale figures to give you the sweep of battle.

How many stands were you using for a unit? I'm not quite sure if you have 6 stand units, or just happen to have all your troops in a division close to each other.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Roy

Hello Fred. I honestly haven't got a clue how the troops were sorted out.

On the night I had:

x1 commander
x1 Artillery base
Unit A: x6 bases of infantry formed together [retainer]
Unit B: x6 bases of infantry formed together [levy]

Whether these six bases could have been detached to form seperate units, I don't know. Nobody did so in the game, and I don't know the rules at all.

Bodvoc should be able to explain things, as he's playing Hail Caesar tonight at the club.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Bodvoc

They are indeed 6 stand units with 24 figures per stand.
In tonight's game one stand of 30 hoplites/immortals etc..will be one unit. I only have several hundred figures painted whereas the chap doing the WOTR has about 4,000.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Quote from: Bodvoc on 09 September 2016, 02:51:55 PM
They are indeed 6 stand units with 24 figures per stand.
In tonight's game one stand of 30 hoplites/immortals etc..will be one unit. I only have several hundred figures painted whereas the chap doing the WOTR has about 4,000.

It's always cool when you have enogh figures painted to make big chunky units. If my maths is right you have close to 150 figures in a unit.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Roy

10 September 2016, 10:05:02 AM #70 Last Edit: 10 September 2016, 10:08:32 AM by RoyWilliamson
Second club night at The Old Guard Wargames Club and I took along my ACW naval.

My game's table quicky turned into a mess of QRS, dice and token, with me scrabbling to find the correct rule or chart needed to continue the game - But, it being a first game, this should be resolved in the future.

There's a bit of a game report over on the blog, here
LINK
for those interested, but the images are less photogenic, game detritus in shot, and the latter turns are only a write up as time was short and photos less of a priority.

Westmarcher, I believe it was yourself who asked me how I found the Smoke on the Water rules, in a comment earlier in the year.

Well, a part from the bouncing between roll on Chart A - now dice against Chart B - to roll off against Chart C, it wasn't too bad.

By the end of the game it was flowing more easily, we both knew the orders and movement mechanisms easily enough, shooting was still the need to check against the charts every time, the hardest bit was figuring out what happens in a collision - it happened twice, with the CSS Chicora pin-balling between two Union monitors. A minute or two reading the rules book to make sure I understood it and I'd worked it out.

The biggest downside I found to this first game was the scattering of paperwork everywhere, it being a real nuisance to keep together and find the correct sheet asap. But, by turn 10 we both knew how things worked and the majority of the rules we'd figured out and retained to memory.

I would say the game would work best with a player with a good working knowledge of the rules, and another who has a some familiarity of them. Then new players could be added. It really was hard work with one person running the game and trying to play at the same time.

Apologies if I've got the wrong forum member.

Starting positions: Union monitors to the left of the photo  

The Confederates: Virginia following Chicora line-astern

from left: Weehawken, Monitor, Nahant

- There was two other games on the night, and I'll add what photos I can if the other players share the images they captured from the night.

Stig

Hi chaps, its been ages since i posted on this forum..sorry....

The WOTR figs are mine, and originally done for Impetus on 60mm - 30mm bases. I just put 6 bases together (3 retinue bills and 3 Longbowmen) together to form mixed retinue units. It worked quite well I think. Hail Caesar is great for big multiplayer games like this.

Roy, and Bodvoc, cheers for sharing the pics of our little club!

Steve

Westmarcher

Quote from: RoyWilliamson on 10 September 2016, 10:05:02 AM

Westmarcher, I believe it was yourself who asked me how I found the Smoke on the Water rules, in a comment earlier in the year.

Well, a part from the bouncing between roll on Chart A - now dice against Chart B - to roll off against Chart C, it wasn't too bad.

By the end of the game it was flowing more easily, we both knew the orders and movement mechanisms easily enough, shooting was still the need to check against the charts every time, the hardest bit was figuring out what happens in a collision - it happened twice, with the CSS Chicora pin-balling between two Union monitors. A minute or two reading the rules book to make sure I understood it and I'd worked it out.

The biggest downside I found to this first game was the scattering of paperwork everywhere, it being a real nuisance to keep together and find the correct sheet asap. But, by turn 10 we both knew how things worked and the majority of the rules we'd figured out and retained to memory.

I would say the game would work best with a player with a good working knowledge of the rules, and another who has a some familiarity of them. Then new players could be added. It really was hard work with one person running the game and trying to play at the same time.

Apologies if I've got the wrong forum member.

Possibly was me, Roy (sorry, I cannot remember  :-[ - it's me age) because I was genuinely interested to read how you to on with them and what your thoughts were. I read them a long time ago after seeing them used by the SESWC in Edinburgh on Angus Konstam's website but have never played them. I seem to recall that they used 'wake' markers placed behind the vessels to denote speed - 1 for slow and 2 or 3 (in a line) for faster speeds. Thanks for your views. Attractive models and layout.  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Bodvoc

It was another fun night last night with 3 good looking games that seem to showcase a small, fledgling club well.
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

fsn

In keeping with my love of ugly military hardware, I've always liked ACW ironclads.

The CSS Virginia would be about 20" long and 4" wide in the one true scale.  :-\

That's do-able isn't it?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!