New club in Tunstall, nr Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Started by Bodvoc, 26 August 2016, 04:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodvoc

Erm, Wigan should have been WITAN,  still not used to my phone auto correcting me.
We now have a Facebook page under the provisional name of the Old Guard Wargames Club. I shall have to get my wife to show me how to use facebook now.
Well won last night Roy, was that superior tactics or good dice throwing?
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Westmarcher

Sounds as if the club got off to a good start. Long live the Old Guard!  m/

If I had read the thread earlier, I might have suggested Tunstall Old Guards (TOGs for short - a play on Terry's Old Geezers) - better still, how about  (Tunstall And District GamERS .... the TADGERS ......  :-\  ....... maybe not ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Roy

27 August 2016, 02:10:24 PM #17 Last Edit: 27 August 2016, 02:12:49 PM by RoyWilliamson
Facebook ... Argh!  :'(

I told you last night I don't like Facebook, as there's a chance people who know me might find out I'm still alive and want me to attend school reunions and the like  X_X

Quote from: Bodvoc on 27 August 2016, 12:07:00 PM
Well won last night Roy, was that superior tactics or good dice throwing?

All three on my side rolled some great dice when it came to melee, with our left pushing forward early and then (my command) the centre remaining as an anchor to allow James to sweep forward and around your side's left flank. Also, I was conscious of the lack of a reserve, and with the left going in early and if that had collapsed, I didn't want you to be able to push forward and, along with your side's centre, pressure our middle into falling back onto our right flank. James and I did discuss a strategy between ourselves, his being the major input so I'll allow him to claim the laurels there.

Still miffed that I failed my command roll, as I really wanted to rush forward and loot your side's camp  :ar!
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Roy

What I know of the period can be written on the back of a fag packet, so pass. I did look at it, briefly, it all made my head hurt, so I stopped.

I'll use this image as my excuse. I ain't got a clue if it is accurate  ;D

Tunstall - Catterick - Richmond is somewhere to the right of the O in Ouse River on the map. (might be a little to the north, too - but we'll overlook that)

I'll cheer on the Plantagenet cause just for the sheer heck of it!  ;D
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

Leman

That is probably quite accurate as there were far more Lancastrian than Yorkist Lords.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Zippee

The WOR was mostly a north v south affair until the Welsh B*sterd traitorous usurper got involved, cough, spit.

Now current Roses matches are definitely east v west, and being from just down the road from this club originally (Ainderby Steeple) I'm White Rose through and through

Good luck with the club lads.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Cept he was much more French. The Welsh have had no Kings and no Prime Ministers (David George was from Brum).

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Zippee

We shouldn't over emphasise nationality - family and house are what is important, the concept of "France" was still very new and wouldn't be cemented until Louis XIV

Most of the aristocracy of England, Scotland and France were a mixture of similar bloodlines.

House and fealty is the thing - he's still a treacherous upstart usurper with no genuine claim to the throne though  :D

Bodvoc

Born a Lancastrian but having lived in Yorkshire for most of my adult life, I have very divided loyalties :)
I reckon Edward IV was one of the best Kings we possibly ever had until that Woodville girl led him astray.

Leman

Quote from: ianrs54 on 28 August 2016, 07:53:35 AM
Cept he was much more French. The Welsh have had no Kings and no Prime Ministers (David George was from Brum).

IanS
He's just having his usual dig - the Tiwdwr's were of course a Welsh family of long lineage, and as this was certainly a patriarchal society in those days, it makes all the Tudor monarchs Welsh. Then you also get the Scottish monarchs as well mixing it up in the C17th so quite a bit of Celt thrown into the monarchy mix. What exactly is a prime minister? Certainly Elizabeth I's chief minister, Cecil, changed his name from Seisyll to make it easier for the English to pronounce.

Roy

Done this so far

Joined Facebook club page - 6 members now
Posted info on Lead Adventure Forum and Steve Dean Painting Forum about club
Began making 24 bases of trees (most are double tree bases) and have been routing around for other terrain bits that can be used
Made and began painting two Improved Monitor, Passaic-class monitors for 1/600 ACW naval
Looked at what I have for 28mm Ancient Germans, glued aload up and began basing those already painted
Bought some blue fabric for a sea mat, as I didn't like what I already had as it appeared too narrow to game 1/600 upon
Found that there is a condensed Flames of War .pdf rules book free to download, as Bodvoc made an enquiry about such

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/OpenFire/Open-Fire-Quick-Start.pdf

Bodvoc

You have been busy Roy, I did manage to find the quick start Flames of war rules, they seem easy enough for even me to understand. We seem to be up to 9 members now on Facebook, only problem is I now have a list of over 150 people who want to be my friend, half of them I have never heard of, the other half I wish I had never heard of! :) (I did say Hi to my sister over in Arizona though).

Roy

Hmm, routing around  :-\
Obviously I meanting rooting.

I skimmed through the FoW rules book, thought it all looked too much to remember and have decided I'll just cheer on from the sidelines  <:-P

Leman