New club in Tunstall, nr Richmond, North Yorkshire.

Started by Bodvoc, 26 August 2016, 04:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roy

Quote from: Westmarcher on 10 September 2016, 11:57:41 AM
Possibly was me, Roy (sorry, I cannot remember  :-[ - it's me age) because I was genuinely interested to read how you to on with them and what your thoughts were. I read them a long time ago after seeing them used by the SESWC in Edinburgh on Angus Konstam's website but have never played them. I seem to recall that they used 'wake' markers placed behind the vessels to denote speed - 1 for slow and 2 or 3 (in a line) for faster speeds. Thanks for your views. Attractive models and layout.  :-bd

No worries. I'm sure it was yourself.

Yes, I remember the wake markers and did think about them during the game. One thing that is a definite, is you need maker tokens in this game. Keeping track on speed to figure out the shooting modifiers is the issue, also collision impact speed. I'd have been lost trying to keep tabs on the five vessels without the game markers, so they're definitely a necessity in my opinion.

Next biggest thing was remembering which guns had shot - Virginia was a sailing artillery battery, so I had to turn the ship's data sheet piece of paper to correspond with how the model was and with my finger against the required guns went down the broadsides - crossing off the gun that irreparable jammed. Working out which gun could then be trained on to the target, with the guide templates and the base's white dots, all added to the time spent on gunnery.

The monitors were far easier. "Those two can't shoot behind themselves. That one can't shoot ahead. They've all got two guns. Heavy and Super Heavy being the various types."

Another issue being back and forth with the paper data sheets to reference armour thickness on the various target locations.

Anyway, it gets easier as you go along and I'd certainly play it again - but not every week, as it would leave me pulling my hair out!  ~X( 
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Roy

Here's some further photos, borrowed from James (who took the forum meet picture at York)

6mm Ancients (Bodvoc & Pete)

15mm WW2 - Flames of War [Yorkie and James]

In the background of that last photo you can see me (ginger hair, sweating my balls off next to the radiator - why did I sit next to it?!) and John
princeps Roy , prince de Monacorra, (ascended in February 2023)
His Serene Highness the Sovereign Prince of (the imaginary sovereign microstate of) Monacorra

All Hail the Principality of Monacorra!  8-}

Bodvoc

Really good pictures those, showing our games off very well. :)
'If I throw a six I'll do my happy dance'!

2016 Painting Competition - People's Choice!

Ithoriel

Nice looking games, though the Ancients battlefield looks a little bare to me.

I do like the effect of massed ranks of 6mm figures.

Slightly puzzled by what appears to be a cavalryman leading a unit of cows and pack mules??
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Also like the look of 6mm on large table.

Noticed a horse unit with two man crews? Pilot and weapons?

As to the afore mentioned supply unit? (pack animals and cattle), I think of stampedes being used as weapons - the ancient equivalent of drones?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Bodvoc

QuoteSlightly puzzled by what appears to be a cavalryman leading a unit of cows and pack mules??

It is just a baggage element being moved forward for some reason. I made it out of spare figures and a few cattle.
The horse unit with 2 man crews are arab camel riders on the Persian side.

We played on a 6x4 table, experimenting with using inches (normally done in 28mm) and we fair zoomed across the table.

skywalker

Looks like you have a great club going there chaps. Wish you all every success with it. :-bd :-bd =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Bodvoc

Well, our little club is certainly having a few hiccups! Today six of turned up at the village hall with 3 games planned, only to be told the hall was double booked and we were the ones to lose out. Very annoying as some of our players had driven for an hour to get there. This is the second time they have messed us about, at first we were told we could have the hall every second Friday no problem. After just one meeting we were then told they had been asked by the local bowls club if they could have Friday's so we were ousted then. We have decided to look elsewhere for a more dependable location!
Meanwhile most of us then went onto one of the players houses which is quite close by and had an excellent game of 15mm Impetus set in the Crusades.

The Crusaders charged to an easy win, I was on the other side! my dice throwing was so bad I could not pass a single Discipline test all game!

Not sure where we will play our next game but we are looking at another village hall.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Good luck with finding a dependable venue

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>
Great looking figures in the Crusade game
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

Quote from: paulr on 25 September 2016, 07:54:44 PM
Good luck with finding a dependable venue

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>
Great looking figures in the Crusade game

+1, to both bits, is that +2?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Bodvoc

Thanks for the good wishes guy's :)
We are looking at another village hall not too far from the first one where one of our group actually lives so we may get a regular spot for our gaming soon.