New pendraken 10mm sculpts

Started by acctingman, 25 August 2016, 05:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

Quick question sort of related to the above photo. Anyone know where you can pick up the Really Useful Boxes people often talk about?
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

fred.

Staples
Hobbycraft
Amazon - though postage is often high
Direct from really useful - good for large amounts
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leman

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 26 August 2016, 09:19:22 AM
Quick question sort of related to the above photo. Anyone know where you can pick up the Really Useful Boxes people often talk about?

We have found Hobby craft can be cheaper than staples, although they often only have coloured ones.  They are normally cheaper for the Trays

We use the 4 litre and 9 litre A4 boxes  taking 2 or 4 trays each

BEWARE - If you use a tray with a "lip" it will stretch the clips and will no longer lock if a tray with a lip is not used. 

I found the stationary tray is best for 10mm vehicles. It available without a lip direct from really useful, but much cheaper with a lip from Hobbycraft. A Razor saw takes the lip of quickly and easily, although it does leave a rough edge

You can buy double depth trays (Often sold as two in a 9 Litre box)  These are excellent for buildings.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Shedman

I use these

http://www.ryman.co.uk/tiger-brand-tuff-storage-box-deep-a4 - suitable for anything up 30-35mm tall

and

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/a4-plastic-storage-box/571895-1000 - suitable for anything up 50m tall - ebay is cheaper and you can get some good deals

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I use the tiger brand ones too, but the deep ones as they go to about 40-45mm deep (only a few stands don't fit, bats, clibinarii, medieval lancers, dragons, mammoths, yeah, basically all the stuff you want to protect)!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

I use 9 Litre Really Useful Boxes, with either four Hobby Compartment Tray (4 Litres) or two of those and one 7 compartment tray

Hobbycraft have been cheapest for me. Free postage for orders over £30 helps.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

andys

Leman

thanks everyone. This is Really Useful Information. :-bd

acctingman

Going to piggy back my own thread instead of starting another...

What about infantry?

Most look "chunky" but the Minifig infantry, although more slender, look the best, from what little I can see. Pendraken and other makers all seem "chunky"

What do you all use?

petercooman

Again pendraken, and a few pithead ones.

Ithoriel

I use Pendraken figures for almost all of my infantry and gun crews - exceptions are from grab-bag type purchases from Bring & Buy stalls or EBay where the bulk of the figures were Pendraken.

I like the look of the Pendraken figures.

As I'm sure Techo, Clib and others will confirm, the art of sculpting wargames figures, especially so as scales get smaller, is not to sculpt 100% anatomically correct miniatures but to sculpt ones that look 100% anatomically correct - not the same thing, surprisingly - and which have no weak points, ankles spring to mind.

Pithead figures have a good range of options and decent poses but I don't like the detail.

I found it hard to do a decent paint job on the Minifigs stuff, plus the ones I had were noticeably taller than their PD equivalent. The painting thing may not be a problem for you, depending on your painting technique.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

Eee, I do like a chunky figure. None of that messing about with buttons and lace.

fred.

Minifigs are without doubt the most anatomically correct of the 10-12mm ranges - the figures look slender compared to other wargames figures. But the sculpts are quite flat, and most of the WWII ranges have very little kit on them, and weapons tend to be quite generic - the main exception are the 8th Army figures.

Most of the other manufacturers (Pendraken, Pithead, Magister Militum) go with a much more Wargames style of figure, which you can see in 28mm and 15mm too, where the figures are chunkier than life. But this gives more depth to the sculpt making painting easier, and giving more character to the figures. Of course this can be taken too far, as can be seen in quite a few 28mm ranges with 'catcher mitt' hands etc.

2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts