WW1 French Kepis

Started by Fenton, 23 August 2016, 11:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenton

Hope someone can help

For 1914/15 I have seen pictures of some soldiers in blue kepis and some in red

Anyone know the reason for this please

Cheers
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Ithoriel

I am under the impression that WW1 French kepis all had a red crown but that some/ many troops used horizon blue kepi covers, similar to the white covers used by the French Foreign Legion.

Others may be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Fenton

Quote from: Ithoriel on 23 August 2016, 12:39:06 PM
I am under the impression that WW1 French kepis all had a red crown but that some/ many troops used horizon blue kepi covers, similar to the white covers used by the French Foreign Legion.

Others may be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong :)

Cheers

That makes sense
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

Damn, just about to post ,someone posted at the same time and I hit the wrong button and cancelled my post.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Leman

Sod this trying to be helpful malarky.

mollinary

Quote from: fsn on 23 August 2016, 04:37:49 PM
http://www.151ril.com/content/gear/1914

fsn, that is an amazing site.  :o :o :o. If only such a site were available for every period and every army!

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Fenton

Leman

So, as I was saying........... nah! can't compete with that site.

JeffNNN

Think that splendid site and other things I've read suggests that you could reasonably use different shades of bluish kept covers and even some red ones, good way of distinguishing battalions or regiments. I've also seen several pictures and text suggesting that the Legion did use the kept blanc in 14-15.

It does help us to spot units, given the eyesight/demographic nature of many wargamers. I've done it with my French and both Tony (Tiny Tin Troops) Hughes and I have done it with 1914/15 Germans too.

Leman

That's a splendid idea which I shall shamelessly copy.

Hecoma

Leman

Well, well - I did not realise how many changes the trousers went through.

JeffNNN

Quote from: Leman on 24 August 2016, 09:17:58 AM
That's a splendid idea which I shall shamelessly copy.
bThank you kindly good sir. Shameless copying by a General is high praise indeed.