14th Army

Started by Sunray, 29 September 2010, 06:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

It is nice to see the new range of Japanese and US Marines.  But what about the 14th Army ? The joy of such a range is that one does not need a lot of special AFVs and equiptment. ( apart from perhaps a few mules ?) .  Doug can keep me right here, but I think the basic figure will also pass for WW2 Australians in the Pacific theatre?  So with a basic range of say 10 figures...Pendragen has a new WW2 army !

Come on guys,  lets hear it for the 14th and make sure that they  are never again the 'forgotten army' !

Leon

It's been requested a couple of times before as well.  When I just mentioned it to Dave, he said that he'd been thinking about this the other day, so I would expect them to be done sooner rather than later.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Blaker

Education time, who and what is the 14th army?

Inquiring minds would like to know  ;)

Derek H

The Allied Army that fought the Japanese in Burma.

Lots of different nationalities, off the top of my head British, Indian, Gurkhas  and Africans (East and West African divisions).

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It would also be usable for Malaya and various other 50's colonial stuff.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Steve J

It would be good to have a load of 14th Army figures including support units, ie mortars and field artillery. Then I would be able to field some of the West African divisions that fought in Burma :).

Jim Ando

they already do infantry in slouch hats are they not the same

NTM

Jim,

I suggested that a while back when someone requested Aussies.
The consensus was that BR57-59 are in shorts intended for the Desert.
No-one seemed to actually have any though and none of the Pendraken guys chimed in either.  ;)

Sunray

Quote from: NTM on 30 September 2010, 03:27:47 PM
Jim,

No-one seemed to actually have any though and none of the Pendraken guys chimed in either.  ;)

I have photos of Wingate's Chindits in what appears to be shorts cut from Jungle Greens.  This was a not uncommon practice in the British Army with Colonial service troops often in shorts, indeed as early as WW1 the 12th Royal Irish Rifles are depicted in shorts at the Somme (1 July 1916).  I appreciate that in the jungle, there are good reasons for long trousers and the vast majority of troops wore them- but the reality is that it would be OK for some figures to be in shorts.
The only other observation from my photo is that the bush hats did not have the brim turned up.

NTM

Sunray,

I don't doubt that some 14th army probably wore shorts, my point really was what do the Pendraken Slouch Hat figures look like and what are they actually suitable for? The other thread failed to answer that IMHO.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=1345.0

And a slight correction Leon did post but did not enlighten us on what these figs look like.

Sunray

Point taken NTM.  The truth is that Dave will have to cast one to find out- and he tells me he will not be near the machine until at least Monday.

T

Leon

Yep, we're down in Derby now.  I'd ask Dave, but he's already asleep, and if I step away from the super-fast 256k Hotel Wi-Fi, my minutes will run out and I'll have to stump up another fiver....!   :-\

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

republic of tolworth

Ok I finaly dug out some of the ANZAC types that I hope are the ones mentioned.
3 types in the set.
1)running with rifle at waist height. Trews,slouch hat with brim turned up and putties.
2)cautious advance with rifle at 45 deg angle. kit as above.
3)Officer with pistol. As above.

Sorry no photos as yet as I am a bit crap on the techie front.
League of the dayglow Aztec Empire.

Leon

Quote from: NTM on 30 September 2010, 03:27:47 PM
Jim,

Dave tells me that they are in trousers and floppy hats, with a mix of brim turned up and not.

NTM

Sounds as if the start of a range is already there just needs a few support weapon options. Some of the figs in helmet would be usable too. The standing figure in the 3" mortar pack springs to mind as he is in shirtsleeve order.