You Tube finds

Started by fsn, 20 August 2016, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

07 October 2017, 10:37:01 PM #255 Last Edit: 07 October 2017, 10:40:35 PM by fsn

By the way, it's life-boy, not life-buwwy.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 07 October 2017, 10:37:01 PM

By the way, it's life-boy, not life-buwwy.

Another one is "route." The word "route" is French for road and pronounced "root." However, nowadays, I've noticed that Americans say "rowt."  They didn't used to say "rowt" - they said "root" like the rest of us (e.g., see Chuck Berry below). "Rowt" is when your men run away (rout). What's going on, America?

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Quote from: Westmarcher on 08 October 2017, 01:04:41 PM
What's going on, America?

What's the point of having letters in words if you're not going to use them?

Yours,

Cholmondely d_guy
Sleep with clean hands ...

Westmarcher

08 October 2017, 03:26:55 PM #259 Last Edit: 08 October 2017, 03:29:53 PM by Westmarcher
 :D  =D>

[What? Like Aluminium?]   :P

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

:)
Excellent and interesting video which gave many examples I had not heard.
Incidently the first land battle of the ACW (arguably) is Philippi (Virginia) which is frequently mispronounced.

Aluminum may be the exception that proves the rule.  :-\  :P

Remember it was East Virginia that you recently visited, 'cause they lost!

mollinary

Krzyzanowski?  Now I would have liked to hear him have a go at that!  ;)

Mollinary
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

Westmarcher

Another reason why East Virginia lost ....  :D

KTravlos

Some good images of interwar Greek kit (before the Metaxas dictatorship reforms). An interesting what if would be a Greek Civil War in 1935-1936 if the Venizelists had not botched badly their attempt to win over greek Macedonia. Kondylis (with probably the A and B Corps)  vs. Plastiras (with C and D corps) along the Vardar/Axios river.

the later royalist coup by Kondylis (winner of the 1935 contest)

Also some images of kit in 1926

fsn

10 October 2017, 08:48:13 PM #265 Last Edit: 10 October 2017, 08:52:36 PM by fsn
Fixed!

Quote from: KTravlos on 10 October 2017, 08:44:37 PM
Some good images of interwar Greek kit (before the Metaxas dictatorship reforms). An interesting what if would be a Greek Civil War in 1935-1936 if the Venizelists had not botched badly their attempt to win over greek Macedonia. Kondylis (with probably the A and B Corps)  vs. Plastiras (with C and D corps) along the Vardar/Axios river.

the later royalist coup by Kondylis (winner of the 1935 contest)

Also some images of kit in 1926

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

KTravlos

Oh dear I mucked that up. Thank you for helping fsn.

d_Guy

Quote from: Westmarcher on 10 October 2017, 12:54:08 PM
Another reason why East Virginia lost ....  :D

Watched with interest, thanks.
By analogy a matchlock should actually be termed a "fusil" while a flintlock should be a "fuzil, which means "fusiliers" are actually "fuziliers"!
;)

I shall now press on KT's vids.

d_Guy

I also liked KT's three videos. The inter-war is a fascinating period world-wide.

In the last video, the English language slide labeled the Evzones as "crack highland infantry" which seems a useful explanation for a general audience. Also, about half way through, there is an actual horse wreck!

The narration in the second vid was French, but was that Greek in the first one?  :-\  :P

Aksu

Terrain building has changed a bit in 60 years, as has wargamers' sartorial standards.

Cheers,
Aksu