You Tube finds

Started by fsn, 20 August 2016, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westmarcher

05 July 2017, 11:06:00 PM #195 Last Edit: 05 July 2017, 11:10:04 PM by Westmarcher
Don't know if many will like this Horse & Musket (18th Century) related video but wouldn't it be great if you could acquire something like 'green screens' to place around the edges of your wargaming table and have any background terrain you want, appropriate to the battle you are fighting? Maybe it's the future ......  8->

p.s. "John Adams" looked like a good mini-series (if you are a late 18th Century / early 19th Century buff). Wish I had seen it. Probably a box set available somewhere.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

KTravlos

John Adams is great. Amazon also has it on demand

This remarkable video was posted in the Great War Spearhead II group. No idea if it has been posted here in the past, but well worth watching. 1913 Franco-Belgian maneuvers

With Respect
KTravlos

Ithoriel

Quote from: KTravlos on 25 July 2017, 09:57:19 PM
John Adams is great. Amazon also has it on demand

This remarkable video was posted in the Great War Spearhead II group. No idea if it has been posted here in the past, but well worth watching. 1913 Franco-Belgian maneuvers

Invalid Youtube Link

With Respect
KTravlos

Let's see if I can fix that for you

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

d_Guy

Indeed - an excellent video - thanks for posting it KT.

And I second you on "John Adams" - a very well done series and well worth watching.
Sleep with clean hands ...

fsn

That's a fantastic film (the Belgians, not John Adams. I saw a documentary about his family. They were weird. Especially his Uncle Fester.)

There's little touches that one can draw from it ... the officer with the Havelock, the chap in the bearskin, the body of troops presumably running towards the pontoon bridge, who are strangely absent thereafter.

Only watched the first 5 mins, but am looking forward to the rest.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

KTravlos

Thanks for fixing the link Ithoriel.

The engineers running on the bridge after they complete are doing so to test the stability I believe. Very interesting is the movement of troops on the field. I remember a big discussion in TMP about how troops fought in the alter 19th century/early 20th century. I think this might be the best depiction we can have of "how they were supposed" to operate.

pierre the shy

26 July 2017, 10:24:09 AM #201 Last Edit: 26 July 2017, 10:26:20 AM by pierre the shy
Thanks for the link to the 1913 Franco- Belgian exercise - very interesting....love those Belgian MG dog carts  :)

Actually have some 10mm MM ones hiding somewhere to do the Belgian Cavalry Division (one day maybe) :-$  
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

KTravlos

Here is another maneuvers film, once more courtesy of the Great War Spearhead Yahoo Group. 1912 British ones this time.

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/543

paulr

Both very interesting and about to change so much
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

That was good, KT. Quite fascinating. I can imagine it was not too dissimilar going as far back as Napoleonic times. By the way, what were the little carts pulled by the dogs?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Westmarcher

On a separate topic, I quite like this. Some good anecdotal and geaky stories from Jim Dowdall, Stuntman (and tank fan).

fsn

Quote from: Westmarcher on 29 July 2017, 08:45:43 PM
That was good, KT. Quite fascinating. I can imagine it was not too dissimilar going as far back as Napoleonic times. By the way, what were the little carts pulled by the dogs?

Machine gun dog cart?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Maxim pulled by dog.
The British in 1914 thought it was cruel!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

KTravlos

Yup Belgian carabiniers (?) used machine guns pulled by dogs

Westmarcher

Is this a U.S. Lindybeige? Maybe not, but interesting nevertheless (well, for me at any rate) ....