You Tube finds

Started by fsn, 20 August 2016, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

20 August 2016, 12:45:24 PM Last Edit: 20 August 2016, 12:55:52 PM by fsn
I've been dumping youtube links I found into the "what are you currently reading" thread. I think perhaps these videos may deserve a thread of their own. Here are some of my favourite channels and series.

Six part series about the Spanish Civil War. Narrated by Frank Finlay and, appropriately enough, produced by Granada TV (That's a British TV station) in 1983. I've not had any spar of interest in the SCW at all, but this seriesdone in the World At War style is engrossing.

I've posted a number of videos from Forgotten Weapons. It is a constant surprise to m and probably many UK citizens that it is quite OK to buy an anti-tank rifle for personal use in the USA. Still Ian, the presenter, it affable and knowledgeable, and some of the the weapons he demonstrates come from some very odd niches of history.

The channel of Juno- TakaLeon is concerned with Japanese WWII aviation - but it's actaully from a Japanese perspective. Some "gaming" videos, but many are interviews with WWII Japanese pilots.

One for the medievalists. Knyght Errant demonstrates the practicalities of wearing armour.

Finally, one can always enjoy a LindyBeige video. He covers all sorts of topics, from ancient weapons to wargaming WWII. In this video he shows off his Moghul armour.  

Enjoy, chaps!
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Rob

paulr

Some interesting stuff there, thanks :)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cameronian

This should be a sticky
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Westmarcher

Some intriguing titles there, Nobby.  I've been spending a lot of time (too much, probably!) on YouTube lately, finding loads of interesting stuff (war-games rules reviews, batreps, painting tips, golf rules explained, jet fighter and armoured vehicle footage, and so on ... a very distracting but entertaining website!). I'll try and look at these over the course of the next few days.
:-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

d_Guy

Lots of interesting vids to try. Thanks fsn. Did watch the one on the PzB 39 AT rifle. AT rifles have application here when our white tails decide to wear their Kevlar on foraging expeditions,  ;)
Sleep with clean hands ...

fsn

22 August 2016, 04:03:47 PM #6 Last Edit: 22 August 2016, 04:19:42 PM by fsn
I watched the one on the Barratt .5". Didn't realise it was a c**p sniper rifle, and was designed as a material damage weapon ... i.e. an AT rifle.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

toxicpixie

It's big a round to shoot people with legally, so you can't call it a sniper rifle ;)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

Common snipe are about 10" tall. How much mess of it would a 0.5" bullet make?  :-&

Anyway, I've been watching some videos from a channel called "a dash of elan - wargaming". Few videos on "Bolt Action", "Team Yankee", "Wall of Shields".

This one, however, is too Zen for me:

d_Guy

I found the "Zen of Mowing" video both stimulating and relaxing. That could easily be the neighborhood in which I live where executing the perfect mow pattern is akin to the performance of a tea ceremony.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Quote from: toxicpixie on 22 August 2016, 04:17:20 PM
It's big a round to shoot people with legally, so you can't call it a sniper rifle ;)

The Soviet PTRS-41 and PTRD-41 used .57" ammunition and were most definitely sniper rifles ... admittedly sometimes used to "snipe" people inside armoured cars, APCs and lightly armoured self-propelled guns :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

09 September 2016, 07:58:48 AM #11 Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 08:01:09 AM by fsn
Do I remember correctly that the Boyes Rifle was used against sangars in Crete(?) Tunisia(?) - somewhere where the enemy built stone defences anyway? The rifle would be used to smash into the stones, causing stone splinter devastation on the other side.

Ian (of ForgottenWeapons.com) opined that a 7.62mm/7.92mm round is perfectly adequate for sniping, and that a .50" is "overkill". I do remember that the Brits went away from 5.56mm sniping rifles because they didn't have the oomph required at long ranges. 

toxicpixie

Quote from: Ithoriel on 08 September 2016, 11:45:47 PM
The Soviet PTRS-41 and PTRD-41 used .57" ammunition and were most definitely sniper rifles ... admittedly sometimes used to "snipe" people inside armoured cars, APCs and lightly armoured self-propelled guns :)

It's the legal side that means you have to CALL them "anti-material rifles" and claim they're only for shooting out tyres or engine blocks. Any shooting of people with such a large round is totally accidental or could result in nasty investigations for being naughty boys. Just like the small calibre 5.56mm/5.45mm rounds tumble and create a horrible wound cavity instead of punching straight through and killing "cleanly". Merely a happy accident that massively improves their lethality, even if it's against all the legal statutes that supposedly mean you don't increase suffering and agony and long term damage.

The WW2 ATR's didn't suffer the same shading of the legal niceties, especially from the Russians and Germans whose situation was generally desperate or vengeful enough they couldn't give a monkeys :D

On modern rifles, I find it interesting everyone's traded down to weapons suitable for the actual close range of most fire fights, but then added a dedicated marksman to partially trade back up. Recognition that most people simply don't need to fight at range, but you do need one decent shot with an accurate ranged hitter to support them right in with the squad and not hovering at platoon?

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

12 September 2016, 06:50:17 PM #13 Last Edit: 12 September 2016, 06:58:41 PM by fsn
Another fine video from Forgotten Weapons - and what a weapon!

Lindybeige talks to a man who makes bows

Cold war weapons! This cuts out without a proper end - but it's a bomber with the props on the wrong way, and jets and its own on board fighter!

Techno

Stroll on, Nobby.

I still haven't had time to watch the film about the USS Liberty. How am I supposed to ever catch up ?

Cheers - Phil