You Tube finds

Started by fsn, 20 August 2016, 12:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Those are great finds, Nobby !

The 'lip reading one' brought back memories of the telephone exchange in Guildford (Surrey)...where one of my colleagues, 'Mick' was completely deaf and dumb.
I got to learn how to lip read, because of that......I think I've probably lost that 'skill' now.

Mick would make some sort of sounds, when he was trying to communicate ('talk'), but I found it easier to completely ignore his 'speech' and just watch the movement of his lips/mouth.

There was one time where I wished the ground would open up and swallow me.

Sitting with Mick at 'tea', I asked if he was born deaf (a genuine question).....When he 'said' "No, a Doctor dropped me on my head, when I was baby".....To my shame, I just fell about laughing !!
Mick, bless him, took no offense ....But I still felt SO guilty !

Cheers - Phil

toxicpixie

Oh dear Phil!

The trench lip reading was quite moving.

Not quite a "Youtube find" but I went with the father outlaw to see the 75th Anniversary screening of "The Dambusters" last night, and now I want to watch "Star Wars" again ;) Was excellent, the film was really cleaned up and with great sound now they've remastered it. The presentation first was a bit forced, very superficial and no detail but a nice acknowledgement for those involved even if I could do with out the bloody Glen Miller bloody Orchestra doing (technically excellent) terrible sub-jazz big band numbers every ten minutes.

I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

fsn

Techno. I presume it's crossed your mind - the oddity of a prodoundly deaf person working with telephones?

How did he come to the trade?   :-\
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I once assumed that someone I'd just been introduced to was affecting a severe speech impediment as a sort of "Thank God it's Friday afternoon, I'm knackered" sort of joke. I nearly replied in kind, and then realised at the last second that the poor woman really spoke like that. I still shudder at the thought of how that encounter could have gone.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 18 May 2018, 11:50:30 AM
Techno. I presume it's crossed your mind - the oddity of a prodoundly deaf person working with telephones?

How did he come to the trade?   :-

It was the 'big question'. Nobby......But he could do anything required of him.....apart from answering the phone, obviously.
If he had to check that he wired a line correctly, we got him a 'light up' phone which 'flashed' when he dialed the number.

No idea how or why he got into telecommunications.

Cheers - Phil

Terry37

Here's the main battle scene from the 1985 movie Revolution. Always been a  favorite movie. I think it is very well done, but I cannot imagine walking forward toward the enemy like they did back then!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anUSt8BYeJ0

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

pierre the shy

Came across this youtube video in my travels round the net that I thought might be of interest.... 

OMG the tank is on fire  :(

You might be surprised at the conclusion this comparison video arrives at as to what WW2 tank is easiest to bale out of (the chap testing them out is a bit taller than your average tanker).

https://youtu.be/q6xvg5iJ4Zk
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

toxicpixie

They really aren't sized for WW2 tanks, are they...

Hurrah for adequate nutrition and living conditions, even if it means building bigger tanks to fit in :D
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Wulf

To be fair, The Chieftain isn't sized for any tank. He has another video describing his start in the Irish Army as a driver. They took one look at him & told him he'd never be a tank driver. So he became a commander instead... First in the Irish army, then US commanding Abrams. If you watch the rest of his videos he gives some candid views on tank ergonomics through the years...

toxicpixie

Yeah, I've watched a fair few of his videos, he's very entertaining. I didn't know his service was quite so extensive, now I look it up!

Pierre, the conclusion doesn't surprise me - best tank of the war :D

fsn

I do enjoy the Chieftain.

His video on the A13 made me see it in qite a different light.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

cameronian

Bojiště Königgrätz 1866 v roce 1923

Try entering this in the YouTube search bar, very short video but bears out my impression that the bohemian battlefields were much less wooded in the last century than they are today
Don't buy your daughters a pony, buy them heroin instead, its cheaper and ultimately less addictive.

Redstef

I always had my doubts about the effectiveness of the Soviet Amoeba camouflage until I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3I4AswoR-w

:o
"From each according to ability, to each according to need" Karl Marx.............I really need those figures

2015 Painting Competition - People's Choice!
2016 Painting Competition - 3 x Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 4 x Winner!
2018 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner, 1 x Runner-Up!

toxicpixie

That's very good camo!

ronan

Quote from: Redstef on 12 June 2018, 09:56:52 AM
I always had my doubts about the effectiveness of the Soviet Amoeba camouflage until I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3I4AswoR-w

:o

Indeed !
Several years ago, during a reenactment event, I was wearing this camo. I went prone for a photographer, near a small bush. A family was passing by, only the child saw me (he was ~ 2m away !) and his father looked at me, and said "no, you're wrong, there's no one"   ;D

(I'm on the left ) :