Measuring tape/sticks

Started by acctingman, 16 August 2016, 10:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsn

I find inches a more gentlemanly measure for wargaming. Tends to force one into large distance units. In my rules, the minimum measure is 1". Never use 1/2 inches. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leman

As the bishop said to the actress.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

DanJ

QuoteAlso, 3" .... who uses inches these days?

I'm on a one man crusade to remove the inch from wargaming, our figures are metric, our base sizes are metric so why use the imperial scale for movement?

d_Guy

Quote from: DanJ on 18 August 2016, 02:49:51 PM

I'm on a one man crusade to remove the inch from wargaming, our figures are metric, our base sizes are metric so why use the imperial scale for movement?

Because some of us live in the States?  :)  Although personally I can go both ways (in measuring units :D)
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

I grew up with inches; they work for me and thank god that Chris Pringle went with inches. One man crusade? You're on your own. While I'm at it - FoG, mms, lousy rules; BBB, inches, superb rules.

Chris Pringle

Quote from: Leman on 18 August 2016, 03:35:26 PM
I grew up with inches; they work for me and thank god that Chris Pringle went with inches. One man crusade? You're on your own. While I'm at it - FoG, mms, lousy rules; BBB, inches, superb rules.

<blush>

Quote from: DanJ on 18 August 2016, 02:49:51 PM

Why inches? By God, Sir, if we can't use Imperial measures for the Imperial Age then when can we use them? I'll remind you that Germany only went metric in 1872, Austria in 1876, and Russia in 1924. Be thankful I used good solid British inches, not Zolle or vershoks.

But more seriously: Unless you're into micron-tolerance tournament games where fiddling those extra millimetres is crucial, centimetres really are just too small, especially for those of the wargaming generation whose eyes aren't what they used to be. The foot is a useful distance for which no convenient metric equivalent exists. In BBB, everything is in 3" increments. Yes, I could have said 75mm or 7.5cm. Actually I sort of did, since I give the 1"=25mm conversion on p2 of BBB for those who prefer metric. But thinking in terms of 3", 6", 9", 12" is quick and easy, whereas 75mm, 150mm, 225mm, 300mm is just a bit clumsier.

Anyway, the 30cm measuring sticks that I use, painted in 75mm sections, make that Imperial vs metric discussion redundant. And unlike tape measures, my clumsy mate can't accidentally hit the release button and fling soldiers off the table when the tape reels itself in.

Hooray for bespoke measuring sticks, say I.

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info
http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/

Ithoriel

Quote from: Leman on 18 August 2016, 03:35:26 PM

Can't imagine BBB would be any different for using a sensible unit of measurement ... nor for that matter that FoG would be any better for being in inches.

I grew up with inches too and am glad to be done with them.

Measuring in Base Widths gets round the problem in some ways but introduces other problems instead, for me.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Duckman

I don't mind inches or cm, but have a real aversion to "base widths".   I can see it adds regularity but its just another mental calculation you have to do which I feel is needless.

Years ago I made a set of "measuring sticks and firing sticks " for my regular rules. They had all the various moves on for each troop type, but each stick the measurements varied  slightly to all the other sticks   The idea being to pick a measurement stick for that move and used it for the entire move, so you could not know exactly how far your infantry would move  or fire that go, So none of thie " I will move my troops to 7 inches away as my missile range is 8 and yours is 7.

petercooman

I game in inches and in cm's. I don't care wich one it is, as long as it's full numbers. no 23 mm or 7/8 of an inch.

Nosher

Quote from: Ithoriel on 17 August 2016, 10:31:00 PM
Ah well, since we haven't actually severed ties with the continent, and hopefully never will, I'll stick with proper measurements. :)

Leman beat me to it..... inches then?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Westmarcher

Generally, I use both a tape measure and small rulers (these 1 metre long tape measures sound good, Nobby). I prefer inches to cm (but will use cm e,g., Honours of War). Easier to see!  :-B

My 'collection' is now only in 10mm and 15mm and when using rules written in inches for 28mm figures, I'm never happy with substituting centimetres for inches as often suggested in these rules.  Plus my existing base sizes tend to differ from those recommended by most rules. I've therefore been known to make my own measuring sticks with my own unit of measurements (e.g., 1 unit of measurement = 3/4 inch or 1.5 cm) out of wooden dowelling, strips of wood (available in DIY stores) or mounting board (obtainable in art stores) - the latter two are also useful as you can write in ranges and movement rates. However, I now tend to make up (or crib from others) Quick Reference Sheets written in 3/4, 2/3 or 1/2 scale measurements (e.g., Black Powder, Honours of War, etc.)

Base widths are great - my bases are 1 inch wide!   :D

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

I also like the 1" square base for 10mm, although I have been known to settle for 25mm square.

Norm

Sword and Shield uses HALF base width as a measurement - not an intuitive measurement.

Of course I could mention the hex, which is neither inch or centimetre. I rather like that my guns can fire out to 6 hexes (etc).

d_Guy

Continuing to flog the dead horse. If base widths are standard in a rules set and used as the basis for distance measurement, then sticks are wonderful. I make them with the divisions in alternating colours. Very easy to read at a distance. Like Leman, probably Westie, and certainly others, virtually all my 10mm are on 1" squares. I now use sabots for most games so units can be assembled in a multitude of ways.

Chris, thanks for the apologia of sticks - well done! =D>

Have I said I like sticks?
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

Quote from: Norm on 19 August 2016, 02:45:01 PM
Sword and Shield uses HALF base width as a measurement - not an intuitive measurement.

Of course I could mention the hex, which is neither inch or centimetre. I rather like that my guns can fire out to 6 hexes (etc).
A hex on that - although it does work rather well for ships.