IABSM

Started by acctingman, 16 August 2016, 04:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

Quote from: Last Hussar on 29 August 2016, 12:41:25 PM
6 PLAYERS!  How big are these games - how do they all get a turn. "MY card didn't come up AGAIN!"

I will second that, played a four player game one night at club and my squad moved once.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

sunjester

Quote from: Just a few Orcs on 29 August 2016, 03:10:23 PM
I will second that, played a four player game one night at club and my squad moved once.

That was not an IABSM game!

pierre the shy

Quote from: Last Hussar on 29 August 2016, 12:41:25 PM
6 PLAYERS!  How big are these games - how do they all get a turn. "MY card didn't come up AGAIN!"

We haved successfully played large ITLSU games with 5 players and yes sometimes a players units card (usually mine  :o)  does not get activated.

FWIW Have'nt tried IABSM as we use a very good home brew set of ww2 rules but we find WW1 with TFLs ITLSU gives a very good game every time.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Cold Steel

Sorry for the absence. Real life got in the way.

Using poker chips in a clothe bag instead of cards actually speeds up the game. No time wasted shuffling and you get a true random mix. The units are written on stickers affixed to the chips. At the beginning of the game, I gave the chips to the respective players and made them responsible for giving them to me when the unit is activated. I deliberately forced the players to respond quickly when their chip came up. Too slow and I pulled another chip. That kept them focused on the game and planning their next moves.  Only one player complained about a unit not moving. At the end of the game, we found he still had the poker chips for it.

paulr

I like the idea of giving the players thieir unit cards and making them responsible

We have had at least one ITLSU game where forgetting to add a unit card has had a significant impact on a game :-[

I'm about to print off a whole lot of unit cards so I'm also going to have a think about the poker chip and bag idea
I wonder if cards in a bigger bag would work :-\
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fred.

There is definitely a difference in perception between drawing from a bag/cup (whether its dice, beads or chips) or dealing from a deck of cards. I don't know why as both are effectively the same. I think part of it is the feeling that cards haven't been well shuffled, while stuff in a bag is always well mixed.

Perhaps with a small deck of cards the feeling of less shuffling is more apparent.

The benefit of cards is that its easier to have more variants - which have the relevant info directly on them. If you want lots of options with drawing from a bag you endup having to label the tokens in some way.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Hence my thought about cards in a bag, I'm not sure if that will give me the best or worst of both :-\

In our ILTSU games if we have two turns in a row where the Tea break card turns up early ending the turn without out many units activating we change "dealer" ;D

I might have to get Pierre the Shy to have a word with Mrs Shy about making us a suitable bag

Cold Steel

You can learn to sew easy enough, but my preferred method of getting a new bag is to buy one that comes with a free bottle of adult beverage inside.

paulr

I can sew but Mrs Shy is a keen sewer who has already sewn some base cloths for us :)

pierre the shy

Quote from: paulr on 03 January 2017, 05:27:28 AM
I can sew but Mrs Shy is a keen sewer who has already sewn some base cloths for us :)

Poker chips are interesting idea....Mrs Shy has expressed willingness to sew up suitable baize bag.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

paulr

I was thing of putting our normal sized cards in a slightly larger bag :-\

We can discuss at our game on Saturday :)