IABSM

Started by acctingman, 16 August 2016, 04:31:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

I bought the I Ain't Been Shot Mum rules from a local store and I like how the look and I've read nothing but good things about them. However, the guy at the store said there is a v3 out? Where does one get the new version? I went to the Lardies site, but I couldn't see anything. I'm sure I missed it.

If you own these rules and have played them...what's your take on them? Have you played solo with them? How was it?

I'm going 10mm with them. Any suggestions on how to base my infantry/support units?

Thank you

Nosher

Nip over to the Lardy Forum - nice bunch and well versed on the rules.

I've only played IABSM once. Enjoyable game and I own the rules but feel its not massively suited to solo play. 10mm should be fine - as to basing I've no real input as my WW2 stuff is all 6mm or 28mm and used for other sets.

Not entirely sure there is a version 3? Cant see a version number on my printed rule set?
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

acctingman

Thanks Nosher

Do you know of any ww2 rules for that size of game that offer themselves to decent solo play?

fulcrum

V2 has a picture of a Matilda on the front

V3 has a column of Cromwells and looks to be sponsored by "Cinzano"

The one on the website looks like V3

Regards

Lee

acctingman

Yep, thanks Lee

Looks like I'll have to buy the rules again  :o

Fenton

I think Rich said that IABSM was tested in 10mm but recommended 15mm because of the lack of a good 10mm range at the time. He said if he was doing it all again he would do it all in 10mm
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Last Hussar

TFL have a supplement called 'Platoon Forward' - it was originally written for 'Troops Weapons and tactics', the Lardie platoon level brother of IABSM, but they should scale up just by increasing infantry units up a level.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Nosher

Quote from: acctingman on 16 August 2016, 05:00:35 PM
Thanks Nosher

Do you know of any ww2 rules for that size of game that offer themselves to decent solo play?

Sadly not in my opinion. But then again very few rules are geared to solo play which is a shame.
I don't think my wife likes me very much, when I had a heart attack she wrote for an ambulance.

Frank Carson

Wulf

I just bought IABSM (for use with 3mm minis...) and as far as I can see the new edition is primarily a cosmetic upgrade with nicer layout, etc. Looks very very like Chain of Command now.

robert

18 August 2016, 04:29:34 PM #10 Last Edit: 18 August 2016, 04:33:28 PM by robert
Changed the way that Big Men are rated....................changes to armour hits etc..............and yes a better layout.

Being card based it lends itself well to solo play (IMHO) - well supported with a blog, forum and Yahoo group - nice versions of the cards on the Group and also a post by Last Hussar within IABSM on their forum - an early post deep in the back files.

Basing...it's kind of up to you but a squad or section is usually 3 or 4 figures to a base, say 3 bases to a squad, 9 bases to a platoon... - the rules are 1:1 - so 10 figures = 10 real men, 1 tank = 1 tank.

There are loads of excellent scenario and campaign books for all periods of WW2 and all theatres.  They are a perfect match as written for 10mm without any changes to measurements.
That is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put - Winston Churchill

sunjester

Last Hussar and I periodically play them with 10mm and it seems to work fine, as written.

Last Hussar

Cards
https://lasthussar.wordpress.com/tag/iabsm/

When Sj and I play we use 2 bases to a section (variable number of figures), marking off hits with a little die.  At half strength we remove a base, giving a visual reminder of their state.

GNU PTerry

Cold Steel

IABSM is a great game solo or for up to 6-8 players. I use 10 mm and base my infantry 2-3 figures on a small FOW stand. I make up IABSM squads from 2-4 bases.

Last Hussar

6 PLAYERS!  How big are these games - how do they all get a turn. "MY card didn't come up AGAIN!"

GNU PTerry