Rules request for someone just starting out

Started by acctingman, 14 August 2016, 01:27:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Hello folks (from across the pond!)  :P

So, I have a set of rules I'm just starting to read. Schwere Kompaine. They read really nice, and I do understand them, but they do seem a tad on the detailed side.

My ONLY concern, is that being a total war gaming miniature noobie these rules might be a bit more than I should be chewing off. However, with that said, I prefer rules with some detail to them and they are the scale I want to game in. 1:1 vehicle and an infantry stand = 1 squad.

I want rules that have good armor detail, but do not disregard the importance of infantry and I like the combined arms approach.

So, with that said.....do you fine folks have any suggestions? (I've heard Chain of Command is quite popular and fits my criteria).

Thank you again for any tips/advice/suggestions!

d_Guy

I suspect you'll get lots of responses on this question when everyone wakes up "over there". In the mean time I don't do much beyond the end of the 19th c., but have dabbled a bit with WW2 (1944 Normandy) and used Chain of Command which I found excellent with interesting game mechanisms. If you haven't seen it, the designers have a seven part video introduction. Here is part one:

And again, welcome to the forum!
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Ithoriel

I use Chain of Command for WW2 skirmish and Blitzkreig Commander for larger actions. They are, IMHO, fast, fun and give a reasonably realistic result.

Flames of War and Bolt Action are popular but both seem to me to be games first and wargames second. They can be fun to play but don't feel terribly like WW2 to me - YMMV!

In the past I've played a fair bit of Command Decision, Spearhead and Crossfire and all gave good games.

No doubt others will be along shortly to suggest other rule sets or to add comments on these.

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

I use USE ME WWII for skirmish and blitzkrieg commander 2 for larger actions.

But it seems the scope you are looking at fits between those two.  ;D

There are some chain of command battle reports around here with pendraken miniatures, might be worth to have a look.

Some are on Ronan's blog:

http://2d6.fr/?p=3755

Leman

I don't do WWII in any way, shape or form, but welcome to the Forum.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Fenton

Blitzkrieg Commander should work just as well With 1 stand =1 squad without any changes.
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

fsn

Welcome Acting Man.

Does this mean you are a thespian, or are you a lady who pretends to be a gentleman?

Either way, welcome.

As to your question, I write my own rules.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

It is a matter of personal choice. Flames of War will give  good game, so does Chain of Command. I can also recommend "Battlegroup" - if you can get hold of them - also BGMR WWII, which are available through the Yahoo group, and free.

Also welcome, even if a da*md foreigner.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

skywalker

I use Bolt Action for WW2 skirmish and Rapid Fire for larger battles

Westmarcher

Unfortunately, I'm not a WW2/Modern miniatures wargamer - although I do like WW2/Modern 'stuff' and like to play the Combat Mission WW2 series of computer games. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it is its need for foxholes, trenches, long ranges, use of terrain, concealment, off-table artillery and air cover that I just find too complicated to war-game economically or satisfactorily (and sometimes I think some WW2/Modern wargamers struggle with these issues also - the number of times I've seen model tanks lined up with hulls almost touching in close order like SYW units ....). However, I must say I have been tempted with Chain of Command which (from what I've read) appears to be very popular for small scale actions.

Anyway, as you have seen, you've come along to the right place to ask for help. Welcome to the forum, acctingman.

P.S. Given my somewhat 'distant' interest in the period, I must say that I have heard of all of the rules so far except the set you mention - Schwere Kompaine. As no-one else has commented (so far), perhaps that says something about them?

NOTE: still not getting the YouTube link unlike Phil who uses a PC (see separate thread), I wonder if it is because I use a Mac? :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Fenton

Quote from: Westmarcher on 14 August 2016, 11:29:14 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not a WW2/Modern miniatures wargamer - although I do like WW2/Modern 'stuff' and like to play the Combat Mission WW2 series of computer games. I don't know why exactly. Maybe it is its need for foxholes, trenches, long ranges, use of terrain, concealment, off-table artillery and air cover that I just find too complicated to war-game economically or satisfactorily (and sometimes I think some WW2/Modern wargamers struggle with these issues also - the number of times I've seen model tanks lined up with hulls almost touching in close order like SYW units ....). However, I must say I have been tempted with Chain of Command which (from what I've read) appears to be very popular for small scale actions.

I think that might be the rules rather than the period.
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

acctingman

Quote from: fsn on 14 August 2016, 09:21:24 AM
Welcome Acting Man.

Does this mean you are a thespian, or are you a lady who pretends to be a gentleman?

Either way, welcome.

As to your question, I write my own rules.

I'm a Financial Analyst for Costco Wholesale....hence the user name  ;)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I'm going to give CoC a shot. I've read nothing but good things about it and it seems easy enough to follow while giving good results.

As for Schwere Kompaine, here is the creators Blog. Great set of rules, imo and I look forward to trying them out.

http://schwere-kompanie.boards.net/

http://ritterkrieg.blogspot.com/

jimduncanuk

14 August 2016, 07:46:48 PM #12 Last Edit: 14 August 2016, 07:48:31 PM by jimduncanuk
Hello there, and now for something completely different.

I ditched all my 1/72 WW2 stuff a couple of years back and have continued to collect 10mm (Pendraken) instead.

I play, and continue to develop, 10mm WW2 games using a very simple set of rules by Bob Cordery.

There is a report on my blog.

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/big-board-portable-wargame-modern-aar.html

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/big-board-portable-wargame-modern-teaser.html

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/big-board-portable-wargame-modern-early.html

http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/portable-pendraken-brits.html

My Ego forbids a signature.