minefields

Started by petercooman, 07 August 2016, 12:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

07 August 2016, 12:29:17 AM Last Edit: 07 August 2016, 12:30:50 AM by petercooman
So i started some minefields this afternoon, and just finished them.

Pretty straightforward, 24 cm long and 5 cm wide,6 bases in total. Enough to shut of an entire sector of the play area.

I am doing some defensive pieces to go with my ironclad trenchline, and will be doing some barbed wire section in the future too. However i want to be able to show where the combat engineers clear the way for the men to move forward (or something like a sherman crab cleared a path). At first i thought about doing some extra sections with cleared parts, but that would be more work and would need more storage space. I pondered about this while i was applying the static grass to th fields, and suddenly i thought about that classic game, minesweeper.

And then it hit me: Flags!

So i made 5 sets of 4 flags to mark cleared paths.

These will allow me to easily represent the safe zones:

Not the prettiest of solutions, but the most simple and effective! And when not in use as clear markers, they can be used for a variety of things, like marking objectives or entry points for reinforcements!

All in all, a good day of hobby stuff!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Genius!

Or you could have little 'Achtung Minen' signs
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

Quote from: mad lemmey on 07 August 2016, 12:39:50 AM
Genius!

Or you could have little 'Achtung Minen' signs

I thought about making some and sticking them to the fields, but i didn't bother. This way i can just stack them for easy storage. And the flags are more generic for other uses. I think i will make some for my wire sections though, so i can have Barbed wire setions with mines in between  :D

My engineers are in for some bad times  ;D ;D

FierceKitty

Quote from: petercooman on 07 August 2016, 12:51:19 AM

My engineers are in for some bad times  ;D ;D

They should be grateful. Most gamers don't bother to use them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Techno

Great stuff, Peter.

Cheers - Phil.

petercooman

Quote from: FierceKitty on 07 August 2016, 02:29:24 AM
They should be grateful. Most gamers don't bother to use them.

I always had a soft spot for battlefield engineering. But they so often get used as bunker busters, and that just doesn't seem right to me.

Leon

Those look great, nicely done.

8)
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Thanks!

Will the engineering rules stay the same in the new BKC edtion?  ;)

Leon

Quote from: petercooman on 07 August 2016, 06:36:57 PM
Will the engineering rules stay the same in the new BKC edtion?  ;)

There's been some debate about that, as the first draft had simplified them a little so that a successful engineer action would remove the whole minefield.  Some of the playtesters preferred the previous method though, having to clear the minefield in sections using several actions.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Quote from: Leon on 08 August 2016, 10:55:37 PM
There's been some debate about that, as the first draft had simplified them a little so that a successful engineer action would remove the whole minefield.  Some of the playtesters preferred the previous method though, having to clear the minefield in sections using several actions.

Seeing as i just made the flag tokens, i think the old option is best  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good to hear they are still in though! Guess the opinion will also differ depending on the size of the minefields in use.  The BKC book suggests minefield of
20 X 10 cm. (mine are 24 X 5, but after adding wire to the front and back, or making it 2 bases deep,they will be 24 x 10)
The frontage of a base of pioneers is 5 cm. So if you have a 20 cm minefield, that means they clear 4 times their frontage in one action (in the simplified rule proposed) This seems like a lot. Now if you have a player using different base sizes or smaller minefields the opinion could differ.

One of the fun parts of these sort of things is that you get faced with desicions.

Do i let my pioneers clear one path and then continue to the next obstacle? Do i clear a wider section and risk getting them shot up or pinned and not reaching the next obstacle? Or for russians, do i push my penal troops through one section or two?  ;D

petercooman

By the way, speaking of minefields and wire, the wire sections have been constructed. Now on to painting, and static grass, and then adding the wire itself. I am adding that after painting, as i want to keep it in the colour it came in!

Going for roughly this kind of wire sections: