Single or Double columns?

Started by Leon, 26 July 2016, 08:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

Just a quick one, do people prefer a single column layout or double columns?  The original BKC was single, but a lot of the more recent rulesets have gone with more (Battlegroup: 3, Saga: 2, Hail Caesar: 2)

I prefer double myself, but thought I'd check whether it was an issue for anyone?
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

I preferred the single one actually, especially when there are tables/examples involved.

Ithoriel

Yeah, single for me too for preference.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Subedai

I oncer read that people are turned off psychologically when confronted by pages of text which is why double columns were invented, purely to make it easier to read. Personally, I have no preference.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

fsn

Single. Double only for pamphlets or handouts.

Thought this was going to be a line vs column thread.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Sleep with clean hands ...

Ithoriel

Quote from: Subedai on 26 July 2016, 08:59:26 PM
I oncer read that people are turned off psychologically when confronted by pages of text which is why double columns were invented, purely to make it easier to read. Personally, I have no preference.

MickS

Seriously? Never heard that before.

Can't imagine that double column is easier for anyone to read. Cuts my reading speed by 25-30%.

One lives and learns I guess.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Subedai on 26 July 2016, 08:59:26 PM

In the early days of computing, before it was called IT there was an allied discipline called Desk Top Publishing.

I used to teach DTP using a number of programs but the most popular one was called Pagemaker. One of its selling points was the ability to turn a string of text into a variety of formats, single column, double column, triple column (I kid you not), single spaced, space and a half, double spaced, justified, justified and filled. It lead to a number of incredibly bad documents being produced.

I would be happy with single column, justified and filled.

My Ego forbids a signature.

Fenton

Would having it as a double column make the production of the rules any cheaper by having less pages?
If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Steve J

Ithoriel

Quote from: Fenton on 26 July 2016, 10:01:50 PM
Would having it as a double column make the production of the rules any cheaper by having less pages?

Only if the font size were smaller, surely.

On which topic, the bigger the better for my ageing eyes!

Genom

I'm perfectly happy with either, BKC 2 was better in single because most of the diagrams, pics and tables were all big as well. But I can understand double could be better depending on how you're doing your diagrams etc.

Leon

I'll finish off the pics/diagrams/tables and then decide what looks better then.  A lot of the images and larger diagrams can still cover both columns, that's not a problem.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

sunjester

I hate double columns in rule >:(s, I'm effectively reading a technical manual, not a consumer magazine. But I reluctantly put up with it if the rules are really worth it.

Sandinista

I'm a double column fan  :)

Cheers
Ian