Olympics 2016.

Started by Techno, 23 July 2016, 07:16:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

In team sports everyone in the team gets a medal.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Yorkshire again account for 15 medals!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leman on 19 August 2016, 06:56:26 PM

In team sports everyone in the team gets a medal.

Yes, I know that, I have some 'team' medals of my own, just not at Olympic level.

If 99 is the total of all the team medals, then teams like Rugby 7s and Rowing 8s doesn't quite compute.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Orcs

They refer to all the competitors as "Athletes"

I do Clay Pigeon shooting , and Rifle shooting, so under Olympic rules I am already an Athlete.  :) 

I told Mrs Orcs this and for some reason she sort of snorted  :-\  I hope she is not getting a cold

Jam first
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Shooting is a sport.
Any time you have to hold your breath and then pucker everything else,  it is a sport.
Sleep with clean hands ...

Westmarcher

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 19 August 2016, 08:46:55 PM
If 99 is the total of all the team medals, then teams like Rugby 7s and Rowing 8s doesn't quite compute.

I suppose it is rather confusing - for example, 12 medals were dished out for the Rugby 7s team  :o (2 of which were Scots) and it appears, 9 for the Rowing 8s  :-\ (there's the cox as well, apparently). Is it your impression that it doesn't quite compute or have you calculated it to be different?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

fsn

Quote from: d_Guy on 19 August 2016, 09:34:36 PM
Shooting is a sport.
Any time you have to hold your breath and then pucker everything else,  it is a sport.
By that definition, getting into last year's summer trousers (pants) is a sport, as is dropping your mobile phone/favourite wargames unit/baby onto a hard floor, opening your bank statement and constipation.  :D
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

fsn, adding your sports we now have a pentathlon  :D

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 20 August 2016, 01:02:33 PM
By that definition, getting into last year's summer trousers (pants) is a sport, as is dropping your mobile phone/favourite wargames unit/baby onto a hard floor, opening your bank statement and constipation.  :D

I think I'd be disqualified from the last 'sport', through drug abuse....Co-Codomol gives you a massive advantage. (TMI  :P)

Cheers - Phil

fsn

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Techno

You suggested it as a sport, Nobby.

Cheers - Mr Horrible.

Orcs

Quote from: Techno on 20 August 2016, 06:01:27 PM
I think I'd be disqualified from the last 'sport', through drug abuse....Co-Codomol gives you a massive advantage. (TMI  :P)

Cheers - Phil
Being on Diabetes medicine that stops the gut absorbing sugar, and as sugar in the guts works as a laxative. I could compete with the absolute alternative.   :-&
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

d_Guy

Thing have certainly good down the tubes in this thread, so to speak.

fsn

I know the Japanese PM turn up.

I know he was dressed as Super Mario.

Does anyone know why?

Westmarcher

Quote from: jimduncanuk on 19 August 2016, 04:41:03 PM
I would be more interested in the nationality of the medal winners of Team GB&NI.

Anyone got one?

Don't know if you've seen this, Jim. There's a final breakdown in the following link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/37132833

p.s. Whilst reading the various reports on the BBC website, I watched a video of the Brownlee brothers being interviewed (for those who don't know, between them they won 2 golds, 1 silver and 1 bronze in the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Triathlons). One of them, Jon, mentioned that when they were in school, they were once asked, "Where did you meet each other?"!   ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.