What shade of wash for white?

Started by Orcs, 18 July 2016, 12:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

I am in the process of painting a 28mm Arab army. It will be predominantly white. What shade of wash would you esteemed gentlemen suggest.

I am thinking sepia or a well watered down brown ink?

Cheers

Orcs
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

I'd go with a fairly thin grey wash. Then pick out the highlights again.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

I would go brown, but I suppose it depends on what colour you intend the garments to end up as. As I recall, from the film, Lawrence was the only one wearing white.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Wulf

I would start in a pale grey, then highlight (nearly all of the white area) in white, then a thin brown wash. The grey gives shadows, the brown accentuates texture.

Zippee

Start it all in medium grey (I use Coat d'Arms  231), highlight in light grey (211), then wash with black (CdA wash is nice and thin) and then top highlight with bright white. That's if you want actual bleached white, if you want dusty linen/off-white, start with HT dun (221), highlight in buff (228) then wash in brown or black to taste and top highlight in linen (233). Move the highlights up a tone and finish with white to make it more off-white

Sandinista

I've used a sandy coloured wash in the past, the yellow in it giving a nice effect

cheers
Ian

paulr

I used a similar approach to Zippee on my 1917 Arabs I used a variety of base colours to make them look less 'uniform' plus most got one coloured piece of clothing

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Subedai

I was going to suggest using slightly different coloured washes on an slightly off-white base for some variety.

MickS
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Orcs

Thanks for the ideas  chaps I will give them a go
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson