2mm clear acrylic sheet

Started by fred., 15 July 2016, 12:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glorfindel

I wonder if this stuff is solid enough to use as a base for terrain ?   The reason
I ask is that I am on the hunt for a source of material with similar properties to
2mm thick HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene Sheeting aka Plasticard).   This sort
of thing :

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/080-sheet-styrene.html

I can't help thinking that there are similar materials out there and am
wondering if acrylic sheet would do the job ?

Phil

Steve J

Are you sure it was acrylic, as shed windows etc are normally made from polycarbonate as they are shatter proof and much more UV stable?

fred.

It would work for terrain basing, as long as the terrain is not too big, as it has some flex to it. But it's probably more expensive than plastic card.

I have seen it mentioned that sign writers often have off cuts of various materials that would work for basing.

Quote from: Steve J on 15 July 2016, 06:11:21 PM
Are you sure it was acrylic, as shed windows etc are normally made from polycarbonate as they are shatter proof and much more UV stable?
You may well be right, I'd have to go and check.

I probably assumed it was acrylic as that is what clear plastic rod is made from.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Steve J

If it desolves with 'norma'l plastic glue, then it will be acrylic. If not, more than likely polycarbonate.

paulr

Signwriter supply companies sell plastic card (styrene) in very large sheets, from memory 1.2mx1.6m

Cost here is the equivalent of UKP20. I use it for all my basing and terrain bases, a sheet typically lasts me around a year
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Glorfindel

>>Signwriter supply companies sell plastic card (styrene) in very large sheets, from memory 1.2mx1.6m

Thank for the good idea - much appreciated.   Off to Google !

Cheers,

Phil