2mm clear acrylic sheet

Started by fred., 15 July 2016, 12:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fred.

I recently had to re-glaze the shed window, which required acrylic sheet. But I could only get a 4'x2' sheet, which was twice what I needed for the shed window. (I feel that fsn would have managed a 4 paragraph intro to this, some of you may be sad that I only managed 2 sentences, others will be pleased  ;) )

So I have a nice 2'x2' sheet of 2mm acrylic sheet - and I'm wondering if I could use if for a hobby project? Preferably one that takes advantage of it being clear, as I have plenty of plastic card for basic building purposes.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

toxicpixie

Bases for single figures where you want the underlying terrain to show through - eg D&D or similar?

I wanted some for a clear sheet of ice for a Frostgrave scenario but couldn't find any at a reasonable price!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Shedman

fred.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 15 July 2016, 12:43:21 PM
Bases for single figures where you want the underlying terrain to show through - eg D&D or similar?
Good idea - but I don't do much skirmish gaming - and if I was going with clear bases, I'd want circles which I have no idea how to cut en-masse.

Quote from: toxicpixie on 15 July 2016, 12:43:21 PM
I wanted some for a clear sheet of ice for a Frostgrave scenario but couldn't find any at a reasonable price!

Interesting idea - and yes its %^&* expensive stuff!

I'd wondered about some sort of cloud island idea?

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

fred.

toxicpixie

Ah, yeah - circle bases are a sod. Probably easier to buy if you actually wanted them :D

Cloud island - that might be quite cool... I'd be tempted by MDF or similar with cotton wool over it though, and keep the acrylic! Force fields/teleport gates/laser fences/portals? Either as is, or with a little bit of swirly paint across?
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Shedman

Quote from: fred. on 15 July 2016, 12:57:22 PM
Nice - its probably a bit thick for that - and how do you cut the circles?

you are probably right - 2mm is a bit thick

I bought a couple of circle cutters from Hobbycraft

http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/papercraft/papercraft-tools/craft-punches?filter=PUNCHTYPE~Circle/&followsearch=9449

Wulf

I have a couple of those and they'll barely cut through cardboard, never mind acrylic...

FierceKitty

I don't know if it's relevant, but you can cut glass with scissors if you do it under water to deaden the vibrations that normally cause cracks. The scissors are never the same afterwards, be warned.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Under what set of circumstances did you come by that nugget of useful information?  :-\
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Some sort of nerd-in-training kiddies' science book.

Wulf

I saw it on the telly once. Also very handy for snipping resin parts off sprues.

Techno

That's not the sort of information we need on this eminently sensible forum.  :o

You know that's the sort of thing I'd try, and end up in casualty with severe lacerations.

Cheers - Phil (where are the bandages ?) L.

FierceKitty

It sounds a bit as if you'd accidentally open a vein putting on your socks, however. First there was Bluebottle, then there was Kenny, and now....

Techno

There's the idiot who STILL wants to try the experiment with the microwave, and the recently extinguished candle.

That's on my bucket list.  :D

Cheers - Phil